The Injury Lawyers in Charlottesville, VA from Martin Wren, P.C. understand the nuances of personal injury law. Clients often turn to us after a personal injury accident, such as a car wreck, when they have questions about their options in seeking compensation. Those who were not completely at-fault for a car collision are encouraged to chat with a legal professional as soon as possible.
What should I do if I’m in a car accident?
There are a few things to do after a car accident, in order to protect your rights, health, and best interests. Firstly, get medical attention, even if you don’t think you are injured. It’s imperative to get care right away, because some serious injuries may not have presented themselves yet due to shock. Secondly, once your health is stable, take pictures and video of the following:
- The entire scene from a wide angle
- Your visible injuries
- Damage to both vehicles
- Debri, glass, or tire marks on the road
- Other property damage (cell phone, laptop, etc.)
Gathering evidence before leaving is going to be vital, as it will be more difficult to go back and capture the scene after vehicles have moved and the debri has been cleaned up. If there are good samaritans who came over to make sure everyone was okay, ask them if they are open to giving you their name and contact details. Witness statements can help strengthen your claim if you decide to pursue compensation. Your lawyer can talk to witnesses in the days after, so don’t worry about getting statements at the scene, where things probably feel too chaotic.
What am I entitled to receive in compensation?
There are three main types of compensation that you may receive a monetary award for, depending on the circumstances of the car accident. When speaking with your lawyer, he or she will ask about what you have been through so far since the accident, and this will help figure out what kind and how much compensation you could receive.
- Lost wages: you may be eligible to get restitution to replace earnings you lost because of being too injured to work.
- Pain and suffering: if the car wreck caused you to face serious physical injury and emotional anguish, those damages may be added to your settlement.
- Medical bills: whether the person at-fault is the other driver, manufacturer of the vehicle, or government entity responsible for roadway maintenance, they may be held liable for your medical bills.
Call Martin Wren, P.C. For Assistance
We can only imagine the stress you are going through right now after a serious car collision. You may feel as though your life was spun upside down, and aren’t sure what to do next. You can trust our team to always have your best interests in mind. We are not afraid to fight for you. Call our Charlottesville, VA Injury Lawyers from Martin Wren, P.C. now for assistance.