What You Need to Know about Medical Malpractice
If you have been the victim of medical malpractice, a medical malpractice lawyer Charlottesville VA residents trust may be able to recover compensation for your damages. The law firm of MartinWren, P.C. serves clients who have suffered from medical malpractice. Our experienced attorneys could help victims receive the maximum possible for compensatory damages.
Our attorneys at MartinWren, P.C. are able to meet with you for an initial consultation free of charge. Contact our office today for more details. Prior to your case review with a medical malpractice lawyer Charlottesville VA residents rely on, you may find the following information helpful.
What is considered medical malpractice?
Medical negligence occurs when a medical professional acts or fails to act in a way that does not meet an acceptable level of medical care. When this act of negligence causes injury to a patient, this may qualify as medical malpractice.
Medical practitioners are expected to provide treatment to their patients that “meet a medical standard of care.” This is usually understood to be a level of care that a health care professional would provide under most circumstances. If the health care professional provides substandard or unorthodox care, the provider has failed to uphold this standard and is considered negligent. However, if the patient is not injured or harmed in any way, then it is not considered medical malpractice. A medical malpractice lawyer Charlottesville VA victims turn to for legal guidance may review your case and determine if you have grounds for a lawsuit.
What is considered negligence?
A doctor, surgeon, nurse, or other healthcare provider is expected to act in ways that will be of benefit to the patient without causing harm. Examples of negligence include:
- Knowingly prescribing medications that are likely to worsen the patient’s condition
- Not performing a necessary medical act or treatment which then puts the patient’s health at great risk
- Mis-performing a medical treatment that puts the patient’s health at risk
When Negligence Becomes Malpractice
Medical negligence may become medical malpractice when the patient is injured in some way. A medical malpractice lawyer Charlottesville VA residents believe in may be able to recover compensatory damages on your behalf. For a malpractice lawsuit to be deemed valid, four conditions must be met:
- Duty of care. A doctor owes his or her patient an expected duty of care. This means they must follow accepted levels of medical care and act as other doctors would under the same circumstances.
- Breach of duty. The doctor must exercise reasonable care in his or her treatment of the patient in accordance to established procedures.
- Injury to the patient. As a result of the doctor’s breach of duty, the patient is harmed in some way that otherwise would not have happened.
- Damages are suffered. The victim’s injury results in damages which may or may not be monetary.
Common examples of malpractice include:
- Causing the patient’s condition to worsen because of a doctor’s negligent care
- The patient must undergo additional medical attention because of a healthcare professional’s negligent behavior
- Unanticipated complications develop as a result of a negligent action
- Removing the wrong body part during surgery
A Charlottesville VA medical malpractice lawyer could review your case to determine what qualifies as damages and assign a monetary value for each instance of damage. Examples of damages:
- Loss of a limb or other body part that was healthy and did not need to be removed
- Additional medical costs for unnecessary procedures or treatments
- Loss of wages because the medical mistake caused you to take additional time off from work
Contact Us Today
When you need a medical malpractice lawyer in Charlottesville VA, turn to our attorneys at MartinWren, P.C. for help. We offer a free, no obligation initial consultation, during which, one of our professional medical malpractice attorneys can review your case and offer a qualified opinion. Contact the law firm of MartinWren, P.C. today if you need a medical malpractice lawyer Charlottesville VA victims are grateful to have on their side.