Taking a leave-no-stone-unturned approach to his civil trial practice, Robert E. Byrne, Jr. is an AV-rated Charlottesville Personal Injury attorney and business litigation attorney who focuses on personal injury litigation, truck accident litigation, medical malpractice, and business and commercial litigation. Bob primarily represents individuals who have been injured, whether from a car accident, trucking accident, a dangerous product, or a negligent healthcare provider. With trial experience in both state and federal courts, Bob is passionate about representing his clients through all levels of a case, from thoroughly researching and briefing complex issues of law to arguing motions and presenting cases at trial to a jury.
Bob also has extensive experience representing employees in various employment matters, from reviewing and negotiating employment agreements and covenants not to compete, to negotiating and litigating severance agreements and other employment litigation matters. As an example, Bob reached a $1,000,000 confidential settlement for a government contractor executive in a False Claims Act retaliatory discharge claim.
Bob has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine and has also been named by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the “Top 100” Trial Lawyers in Virginia. In 2010, Bob was named the Virginia State Bar’s Young Lawyer of the Year out of approximately 9,000 eligible attorneys. Bob has earned an AV-rating of Preeminent by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating system, and Bob has repeatedly been named one of Virginia’s “Top Rated Lawyers” by The American Lawyer magazine.
In addition to serving as the Managing Attorney and President of MartinWren, P.C., Bob has also volunteered in a number of capacities with the Virginia State Bar and the Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association. Locally, Bob has served on committees for a water sanitation fundraising project to benefit communities in Africa and has performed pro-bono work as a volunteer attorney with the Legal Aid Justice Center in Charlottesville. Bob also served on the Board of Directors of Computers 4 Kids and the Blue Ridge Chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
Bob’s wife, Lauren, is a licensed attorney and formerly served as a prosecutor for the City of Norfolk and as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable D. Arthur Kelsey. Bob and Lauren live in Keswick with their five children, including twins. Bob and Lauren are active members of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville where Bob also serves as an Elder, and they’ve been honored to assist with several ministries through the church, including Jobs for Life, Grief Share, and Mothers of Preschoolers.
Charlottesville Personal Injury Attorney
As a Charlottesville Personal Injury Lawyer, Bob has represented injured clients in a wide variety of litigation matters including traumatic brain injury litigation, truck accidents, serious car accidents, child sexual abuse, medical malpractice, workplace injury litigation and industrial accidents, workplace torts, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, trucking litigation and tractor trailer accidents. Bob has experience representing numerous victims of traumatic brain injury, including several TBI victims who were injured in collisions with tractor trailers.
Charlottesville Business Litigation Attorney
As a Charlottesville business litigation attorney, Bob represents parties in matters involving employment litigation, negotiation of severance agreements for executives and other employees, employment discrimination, covenants not to compete, trade secrets litigation, eminent domain, misappropriation of trade secrets claims, intellectual property infringement claims, and business torts, including intentional interference claims, statutory and civil conspiracy, and fraud.
Personal Injury Litigation
- Represented several TBI victims in automobile and tractor trailer accidents who have suffered a variety of symptoms, including severe headaches, loss of balance, tinnitus, lost of smell, vision damage, psychiatric injuries including PTSD and bipolar disorder, and a number of other cognitive and behavior issues
- Jury verdict for sexual abuse victim against the abuser’s spouse, in the total amount of $275,000 plus pre-judgment interest of approximately $90,000
- Part of litigation team that obtained confidential $1,750,000 settlement in wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- Part of litigation team that received $850,000 jury verdict in federal court in tractor trailer accident that resulted in traumatic brain injury
- Confidential $700,000 settlement in trucking case that caused client to suffer a combined labyrtinthine (vestibular) and cerebral concussion
- Obtained $400,000 settlement in traumatic brain injury case where client suffered brain injury as a child, his family indicated he was normal within months, but he developed psychiatric issues years later
- Obtained $250,000 settlement for driver in low-speed automobile crash who developed traumatic cervical dystonia as a result of the crash
- Represented injured driver in federal court against corporation represented by national law firm
- Successfully represented plaintiffs suffering disc herniations, spondylolisthesis, spondylolylis, and other lumbar, thoracic, and cervical spine injuries sustained in automobile accidents
- Successfully represented driver in automobile products liability claim when her airbag failed to discharge in an accident, leading to facial fractures and a closed head injury
- Represented child in civil suit against neighbor who committed multiple acts of child sexual abuse
- Represented client injured in ATV (4 wheeler) accident
- Represented driver injured in defective airbag products liability case against major automotive manufacturer
- Represented plaintiff in medical malpractice action involving retained surgical sponge
- Represented plaintiffs who sustained traumatic brain injuries, including post-concussive syndrome and subdural hematomas, and who have faced a variety of physical and psychological injuries
- Represented minor plaintiff with facial scars sustained in car accident
- Represented plaintiff in products liability action who was injured by defective trailer that fell and caused bone fracture
- Represented numerous plaintiffs who were injured by drunk drivers
- Represented clients suffering serious injuries ranging from closed head brain injuries, burn injuries, nerve injuries, scarring, broken bones, ligament damage, and other serious injuries
Business & Commercial Litigation
- With John Simpson, received a unanimous jury verdict in case in chief and counterclaim with substantial attorneys’ fees award on behalf of a government contracting client that was sued for purported violations of an asset purchase agreement
- Obtained confidential $1,000,000 settlement for executive in False Claims Act retaliation dispute without filing lawsuit
- Worked closely with John Simpson and local counsel in Manhattan $1,000,000 breach of contract claim pending in the Supreme Court of New York, New York County
- Recovered $1,000,000 in business dispute for plaintiff in federal court
- Represented plaintiff to establish prescriptive easement across eight intervening parcels
- With MartinWren, P.C. attorney Kirk Becchi, sued in District of Columbia court for the return of a priceless painting on behalf of a Washington, D.C. non-profit organization
- Obtained confidential $1,000,000 settlement in False Claims Act retaliatory discharge claim
- Represented employees in civil conspiracy and breach of non-compete litigation arising out of alleged breach of $37,000,000 government contract
- Represented parties in dispute against former employer involving wage claims and equity ownership interests
- Represented executive parties in severance negotiations and in drafting severance agreements
To learn more about Bob’s services as a Christian personal injury attorney, Virginia Trucking Accident Lawyer, or a Charlottesville business litigation attorney, please call Bob at 434-817-3100