Taking a leave-no-stone-unturned approach to his civil trial practice, Robert E. Byrne, Jr. is an AV-rated Charlottesville Personal Injury attorney who focuses on personal injury litigation, truck accident litigation, and medical malpractice. Bob primarily represents individuals who have been injured, whether from a car accident, trucking accident, a dangerous product, or a negligent healthcare provider. With trial experience in both state and federal courts, Bob is passionate about representing his clients through all levels of a case, from thoroughly researching and briefing complex issues of law to arguing motions and presenting cases at trial to a jury.
Drawing upon his own experiences with profound loss, Bob is also uniquely positioned to represent families in wrongful death cases. Bob has helped numerous families deal with the crushing weight of grief, and he considers his work on wrongful death cases to be the most important and personal work he does.
Bob has been recognized repeatedly by Super Lawyers Magazine and has also been named by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the “Top 100” Trial Lawyers in Virginia. Bob has earned an AV-rating of Preeminent by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating system, and Bob has repeatedly been named one of Virginia’s “Top Rated Lawyers” by The American Lawyer magazine. In 2010, Bob was named the Virginia State Bar’s Young Lawyer of the Year out of approximately 9,000 eligible attorneys.
In addition to serving as the Managing Attorney and President of MartinWren, P.C., Bob has also volunteered in a number of capacities with the Virginia State Bar and the Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association. Locally, Bob is a board member for New City Counseling, has served on committees for a water sanitation fundraising project to benefit communities in Africa, and has performed pro-bono work as a volunteer attorney with the Legal Aid Justice Center in Charlottesville. Bob also served on the Board of Directors of Computers 4 Kids and the Blue Ridge Chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
Bob’s wife, Lauren, is a licensed attorney and formerly served as a prosecutor for the City of Norfolk and as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable D. Arthur Kelsey. Bob and Lauren live in Keswick with their five children, including twins. Bob and Lauren are active members of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville where Bob also serves as an Elder, and they’ve been honored to assist with several ministries through the church, including Jobs for Life, Grief Share, and Mothers of Preschoolers.
Charlottesville Personal Injury Attorney
As a Charlottesville Personal Injury Lawyer, Bob has represented injured clients in a wide variety of litigation matters including traumatic brain injury litigation, truck accidents, serious car accidents, child sexual abuse, medical malpractice, workplace injury litigation and industrial accidents, workplace torts, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, trucking litigation and tractor trailer accidents. Bob has experience representing numerous victims of traumatic brain injury, including several TBI victims who were injured in collisions with tractor trailers.
Virginia Truck AccidenT Lawyer
As a Virginia Truck Accident Lawyer, Bob has handled numerous dump truck and tractor trailer crash cases throughout Virginia involving sudden medical emergency, death cases, wheel-off cases, fatigued drivers, high-speed collisions, and a number of other scenarios. Bob is skilled at investigating these cases, working with experts to secure critical information, and devising insightful strategies using Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations to establish liability. These cases oftentimes involve traumatic brain injuries, and Bob has worked closely with some of the top neurologists and physiatrists in the county to learn and apply this medicine in his cases.
Personal Injury Litigation
- Represented several TBI victims in automobile and tractor trailer accidents who have suffered a variety of symptoms, including severe headaches, loss of balance, tinnitus, lost of smell, vision damage, psychiatric injuries including PTSD and bipolar disorder, and a number of other cognitive and behavior issues
- Jury verdict for sexual abuse victim against the abuser’s spouse, in the total amount of $275,000 plus pre-judgment interest of approximately $90,000
- Part of litigation team that obtained confidential $1,750,000 settlement in wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- Part of litigation team that obtained confidential $1,140,000 settlement in cerebral palsy birth injury case
- Part of litigation team that received $850,000 jury verdict in federal court in tractor trailer accident that resulted in traumatic brain injury
- Obtained confidential $750,000 settlement against resort for traumatic brain injury sustained in resort activity
- Obtained $695,000 settlement in tractor trailer case when client injured in a wheel-off incident where a loose tire caused a serious crash
- Confidential $700,000 settlement in trucking case that caused client to suffer a combined labyrtinthine (vestibular) and cerebral concussion
- Obtained $400,000 settlement in traumatic brain injury case where client suffered brain injury as a child, his family indicated he was normal within months, but he developed psychiatric issues several years later
- Obtained $250,000 settlement for driver in low-speed automobile crash who developed traumatic cervical dystonia as a result of the crash
- Successfully represented plaintiffs suffering disc herniations, spondylolisthesis, spondylolylis, and other lumbar, thoracic, and cervical spine injuries sustained in automobile accidents
- Successfully represented driver in automobile products liability claim when her airbag failed to discharge in an accident, leading to facial fractures and a closed head injury
- Represented child in civil suit against neighbor who committed multiple acts of child sexual abuse
- Represented client injured in ATV (4 wheeler) accident
- Represented driver injured in defective airbag products liability case against major automotive manufacturer
- Represented plaintiff in medical malpractice action involving retained surgical sponge
- Represented plaintiffs who sustained traumatic brain injuries, including post-concussive syndrome and subdural hematomas, and who have faced a variety of physical and psychological injuries
- Represented minor plaintiff with facial scars sustained in car accident
- Represented plaintiff in products liability action who was injured by defective trailer that fell and caused bone fracture
- Represented numerous plaintiffs who were injured by drunk drivers
- Represented clients suffering serious injuries ranging from closed head brain injuries, burn injuries, nerve injuries, scarring, broken bones, ligament damage, and other serious injuries
- Obtained confidential $1,000,000 settlement for government contractor executive in False Claims Act retaliatory discharge claim without filing suit
- Represented employees in civil conspiracy and breach of non-compete litigation arising out of alleged breach of $37,000,000 government contract
- As seen on USA Today – Fact check: Court guidelines allow video, photos of Johnny Depp trial, unlike Ghislaine Maxwell case.
- As seen in Daily Progress — Grief Support Group Begins Wednesday
To learn more about Bob’s services as a Christian personal injury attorney, Virginia Trucking Accident Lawyer, Virginia Wrongful Death Attorney, or a Charlottesville Employment Law attorney, please call Bob at 434-817-3100