Ensuring Your Former Spouse Receives No Share of Your Assets

December 13, 2019 in Uncategorized | MARTIN WREN, P.C. | LEAVE A COMMENT

It probably goes without saying that divorce can be one of the most stressful and painful life events that anyone can go through. Even two partners who know divorce is the best route for the both of them, are likely to encounter a dispute or other problem during the divorce process. A divorce is a period of time in which the divorcing spouse must take action so they can protect themselves and their legacy.

Your estate lawyer is likely to advise reviewing your estate plan, and making adjustments where needed. Here’s how to help make sure that your ex doesn’t get any of your assets later on in life: 

Naming a New Executor
If you wrote your estate plan while being married to your former spouse, then you may have appointed him or her as the executor of your will. If the last thing you want is for your ex spouse to inherit property and be responsible for managing your estate, then you need to appoint someone new as your executor. The new person you choose as an executor doesn’t have to be someone who is familiar with estate planning, but must be responsible and would only act in your best interest and not for the benefit of themselves.

Appointing New Beneficiaries
Beneficiaries are people that you wish to be given property, financial assets, or another belonging of yours after your passing. When people get married, a lot of times they state that they want everything to be left to their spouse. But post divorce, this is likely not the result you want anymore. Your lawyer may recommend starting completely fresh with a brand new will, in which you name beneficiaries that do not include your ex spouse.

That is, unless you want them to receive a portion of your estate after you have passed on. Some former spouses have decent relationships and actually want them to have something from the estate. If you do not have a kind dynamic with your ex spouse, then your lawyer may suggest writing a clause that prevents them from trying to petition for a portion of your assets after your death. 

Appointing a New Guardian for Minor Children
In the event that your death occurs while your children are still minors, the court may deem that it is appropriate for your ex, who is their other parent, to take over custody. But, if your ex spouse has problems with drug addictions, financial stability, alcoholism, has a history of abuse, or something else that poses a danger to your children, then you must appoint a new guardian. If you strongly feel that the other parent should not be given custody of your children, then list these reasons in a letter that you attach to your will. This letter will give the judge information that may not otherwise be shared with the court, and emphasizes why you have made the decision that you did within the will. 


Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    *By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Martin Wren, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news