Divorce Lawyer

April 10, 2021 in Uncategorized | MARTIN WREN, P.C. | LEAVE A COMMENT

Becoming Legally Separated

Divorce Lawyer If you’re having problems with your marriage, you might be considering a separation or divorce. Perhaps you’re not certain so you just want to separate for a while or maybe you want to jump straight to divorce, but your spouse isn’t quite sure yet. In any case, a legal separation might be the answer. 

What Is a Legal Separation?

A legal separation is quite similar to a divorce, though there are some differences. Basically, you and your spouse are choosing to live in different locations and will have to split assets the same as you would in a divorce. Child custody, visitation and child support are issues you would be required to settle, and in some cases alimony would be a concern. A legal separation is a process that often takes the same amount of time to conclude as divorce, and it often costs the same in legal fees as well. 

Why would someone choose to stay legally married, but separated? There are several benefits:

  • If your spouse has quality health insurance, you can typically stay on the plan so you still have coverage after the separation.
  • If the couple has children who are having a hard time with the separation, it might be more comforting knowing their parents are still legally married.
  • A wife who took her husband’s name at marriage would not be allowed to revert back to her maiden name, so she would still keep the same name as her children.
  • If the couple sees any chance at reconciliation, but needs several years to get through a difficult situation, legal separation could give them that space, and it’s easy to get back to living as a married couple when the issue is resolved.

Do I Need a Lawyer To Become Legally Separated?

Just like any other legal process, there are several benefits of hiring a divorce lawyer such as Winfrey Law Firm when you are getting legally separated. First, having your own lawyer ensures the most fair outcome possible when splitting assets and deciding on custody and similar issues. Second, the lawyer will understand the legal process so when there’s a problem with your separation, the lawyer will know how to handle it. Finally, your lawyer knows deadlines, paperwork and all the other particulars to help the separation become settled as soon as possible.

Contact a Lawyer To Learn More

When you and your spouse are considering a separation, there are several things you’ll need to consider. To learn more about a legal separation, contact a family lawyer today.

Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    *By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Martin Wren, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news