If you were hurt in a car accident, it might be worth it to speak to a Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer. At MartinWren, P.C., we have helped many car accident victims obtain compensation for their injuries. Our lawyers have superb negotiating skills and are always ready to take a case to trial if necessary.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents occur on highways like I-95 all too often and can result in very serious injuries. Although some of these accidents are due to weather conditions and road hazards, many others are caused by driver error. If you’re considering contacting a car accident lawyer Fredericksburg VA can provide, you might have been involved in an accident for one of the following reasons:
- Fatigue: Driving while tired can be very dangerous, as a car accident lawyer Fredericksburg VA residents trust can attest. Fatigued drivers aren’t able to focus that well on the road and may even fall asleep behind the wheel, causing accidents.
- Drunk Driving: Drivers who drink alcohol before getting in a car put everyone on the road at risk. Being under the influence of alcohol can slow a driver’s reaction time and make him or her less focused.
- Speeding: Nearly every Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer has also dealt with car accidents caused by speeding. Whether they are in a hurry to get somewhere or didn’t see the posted speed limits, driving above the speed limit is not safe. Speeding slows down a driver’s reaction and perception time.
- Distracted Driving: Many drivers deal with distractions while behind the wheel. They may send text messages to friends, eat food, or even brush their hair or do their makeup while driving. However, getting distracted can take one’s eyes off the road, increasing the risk of accidents. It is important for drivers to avoid all distractions while on the road.
- Improper Vehicle Maintenance: All drivers are responsible for properly maintaining their vehicles. If they fail to do this, they are more likely to cause car accidents, as a Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer can confirm. For example, if a driver has not serviced the brakes on a vehicle, brake failure can occur and cause an accident.
Who is Liable in an Accident Involving a Commercial Truck?
Ask any Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer, and they’ll likely agree that car accidents involving commercial trucks tend to have devastating consequences. In fact, Recent statistics suggest that trucking accidents involving smaller motor vehicles account for over 60% of truck accidents. If you were the victim of a trucking accident, it’s possible that the insurance company of the truck company may even try to blame you for the accident.
The following goes over the most common reasons trucking accidents occur.
Common Causes for Trucking Accidents
- Driving Too Fast: Trucks are large and heavy, when they are driving too fast, it can be difficult for them to slow down. Large trucks often cannot fully stop as quickly as other vehicles can. A Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer might argue that even though a truck driver was driving the speed limit, he/she was not driving at a safe speed.
- Traffic Signs and Construction Zones: Changing lanes or merging should be approached cautiously when a large truck is involved, especially when there are no traffic signals to help manage the traffic flow.
- Fatigued Driving: Some truck companies push their employees to drive beyond the amount of time that is legally allowed. Because of this, some truckers drive when they have been on the road for too long. This could cause a trucker to not respond appropriately when faced with a situation that needs them to react quickly.
- Distracted Driving: Talking on the phone without a hands free device can be a potential hazard, and texting should also be avoided at all costs. For truck drivers who spend long hours on the road, they might also become distracted by eating or looking up directions while driving. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to prove that someone was distracted at the time of an accident. An experienced car accident lawyer in Fredericksburg VA may be able to determine if they are liable.
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can skew a person’s judgement and cause them to lose their ability to think clearly. The legal alcohol limit is .08% BAC for most drivers, but commercial truck drivers are typically subject to limits of .04% BAC. In addition to criminal charges, truck drivers who caused an accident while under the influence of drugs or alcohol might face a civil suit from a Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer.
Contact a Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer if you have been the victim of the accident, especially if you believe that the trucker was at fault. Truck accidents can be even more complex than other car accidents because there are several parties that may be at fault.
Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit With a Fredericksburg VA Car Accident Lawyer
If you wish to file a car accident lawsuit, you should do so sooner rather than later. In Virginia, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit is two years. It is important to consult an experienced car accident lawyer in Fredericksburg VA as soon as possible to discuss your case and legal options.
A Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer may help you gather necessary evidence, communicate with insurance companies on your behalf, and ensure your rights are protected.
During your first consultation with a car accident lawyer, expect to answer several questions about your case. For example, he or she may want to find out the extent of your injuries and what caused the accident. If you have any questions you’d like to ask, don’t hesitate to voice them in the meeting.