Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Charlottesville VA
If you’re the victim of a hit and run accident, you should speak to a hit and run accident lawyer Charlottesville VA residents trust. Although it’s illegal to leave the scene of an accident, some motorists still do it. If you endured injuries or property damage from the accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident
After a hit and run accident, it’s natural to feel shocked and confused. After all, how could a driver just flee the scene of an accident? However, it’s important to take certain steps after the fact to improve our chances of getting a fair settlement.
- Try to Remember Details of the Other Vehicle: When you’re a hit and run victim, you only have a few seconds to obtain information about the other vehicle before it flees the scene. Take mental notes of important details, such as the color, make and model of the vehicle and license plate number. As soon as you’re able to, write this information down on paper.
- Contact the Police: Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal, so it’s important to call the police right away. When they come to the scene, tell them everything you remember about the event. They will include all of this information in their police report, which you can use later as evidence in your case.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were other people around at the time of the hit and run accident, you’ll definitely want to ask for their names and contact information. They may have noticed details about the hit and run driver and vehicle that you may have missed. For example, they may have noticed what direction the vehicle was going in. Your Charlottesville VA auto accident lawyers may call these witnesses to testify on your behalf.
- Seek Medical Care: Even if you don’t have any visible injuries, you should still seek medical attention immediately. Some injuries may not show symptoms right away and you don’t want to put your health in jeopardy. A doctor will evaluate your injuries and determine the best treatment. Remember to ask for copies of your medical records, as they will be used as evidence in your case.
- Hire a Lawyer: Pursuing compensation in a hit and run case can be very complex, so it’s essential to have someone with knowledge and experience on your side. A skilled hit and run accident lawyer in Charlottesville VA has handled similar cases in the past and can help you build a strong case. Your lawyer can handle all the legwork and will keep your best interests at heart.
If you were involved in a hit and run accident, you should schedule a free consultation with a hit and run accident lawyer in Charlottesville VA at MartinWren, P.C.today.