Roll-Over Accident Lawyer Charlottesville VA
Virginia has its fair share of different weather patterns, including fog. It is not uncommon during certain times of the year for drivers to encounter fog either on their way to work in the morning or on the way home from a night out with friends. Unfortunately, it can wreak havoc on the roads, making car accidents and injuries more likely to occur, especially roll-over accidents. If you have been injured in a crash caused by fog, or any other reason, contact a roll-over accident lawyer Charlottesville VA clients recommend from MartinWren, P.C. to find out what legal options you may have.
The Dangers of Fog
While we often think of dangerous driving behaviors, such as speeding, running stop signs, or driving under the influence, as being the main causes of car accidents and injuries, the fact is that weather plays a significant role. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), adverse weather conditions are responsible for roughly a quarter of all crashes and collisions which occur each year.
The FHWA estimates that fog is responsible for more than 25,000 car crashes each year, injuring almost 9,000 victims. Just under 500 people are killed each year in fog-related crashes.
- It reduces visibility, obscuring other drivers, as well as pedestrians and bicyclists.
- It makes it hard to see traffic signs and signals
- It obscures twists or turns in the road, as well as areas that present hazards due to road conditions or construction
A driver who is driving in foggy weather can hit another vehicle, object, or person they can’t see. Another common scenario is that they swerve to avoid hitting something, but the sudden movement causes their vehicle to rollover. Anyone who has been injured in a crash, should contact one of our Charlottesville VA auto accident lawyers from our firm for legal assistance.
Safety Tips for Driving in Fog
It can be hard to predict when it is likely to get foggy, how long it will last, or how dense it will be. Your best course of action is to ensure you are prepared by refreshing your memory regarding some simple safety tips.
Drivers should heed the following practices when dealing with fog and precipitation on the roads:
- Slow down. While most of us are in a hurry to get where we need to go, when it is foggy allow yourself extra time and drive a little slower than normal.
- Stay focused. During foggy conditions, keep both hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. This helps to ensure you have time to respond to sudden changes in road or traffic conditions.
- Use low lights. With the excess moisture in the air, using high beams in fog will only make matters worse. Use your headlights and possibly flashers in heavy fog to ensure other drivers see you.
Let Us Help You Today
At MartinWren, P.C., we are here to help when any type of crash or collision occurs. To speak with an experienced Charlottesville VA roll-over accident lawyer about your case, contact our office and request a free consultation today.