Truck accident Lawyer Richmond VA
A truck accident lawyer Richmond VA trusts may be able to help you recover the compensation you deserve from the truck accident you were involved in. Truck accidents are one of the devastating types of vehicle accidents, because they usually result in many victims or especially serious injuries. When you are a victim of a truck accident, you are more likely to suffer injuries like broken bones, head injuries, or leg injuries. The size and weight of a truck make them almost impossible to control and victims who are in their way are often not able to react in time to avoid them. Fortunately, there is help you can turn to if you are a truck accident victim. At MartinWren, P.C., we have represented many Virginia truck accident victims in the past and are ready to assist you. If you have a reputable lawyer on your side, you may improve your chance of obtaining fair compensation for your injuries.
- Reasons It’s Important To Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer
- 4 Things To Do to Avoid a Truck Accident
- Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- 0Results of a Trucking Accident
- Richmond VA Truck Accident Infographic
- Proving Negligence
- Why Do Truck Accidents Happen?
- Hiring Legal Representation for a Truck Accident Lawsuit
- Truck Accidents Caused by Falling Debris
- Duty of Trucking Companies and Their Drivers
- What are the common causes of trucking accidents?
- What are common reasons truck accidents happen?
- What Can Our Firm Do for You?
- DETERMINING FAULT AFTER TRUCK ACCIDENT
- Common Injuries in a Truck Accident
- Don’t Hesitate. Get in Touch with a Truck Accident Lawyer Today
TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER RICHMOND VA
Semis, tractor trailers, and other large and heavy trucks are on almost every road in the United States most days. They are responsible for getting fuel to stations all across the country, transporting goods from one place to the next, gathering crops from rural farms and taking them to stores in other states. They are necessary to this country, but the downside is that they are involved in many accidents on a regular basis. Commercial trucks carry a large amount of cargo and they can be difficult to control. The cargo can spill on the road, causing damage and introducing more hazards to drivers and pedestrians around. Such accidents are often much more severe due to the size and weight of the vehicle. A truck accident lawyer Richmond VA provides can help you decide your next few steps.
Each year, vehicles travel billions of miles across the United States. In 2015, the number was over 3,000 billion. Larger trucks account for a great portion of those miles each year, usually around 200 billion. Trucks are vital to the economy, so they are a common sight on freeways and highways. With so many trucks traveling all day, every day, accidents can be very common, especially during rain, sleet, and snow. If you have been the victim of an accident, call a truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA from our firm today.
Reasons It’s Important To Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer
Helping You Avoid Making Mistakes
After you’ve been through a truck accident, making wise decisions is vital. It’s also difficult. You may be injured, confused or overwhelmed by the shock of what happened. In those circumstances, it’s easy to make mistakes with your case.
Unfortunately, some minor errors can cost you your claim or reduce the amount of compensation you receive significantly. Having a truck accident lawyer in Richmond, VA to turn to can help immensely.
At Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law, we’re caring, patient and knowledgeable. We take the time to explain what to do and what to avoid so you have a strong case.
Assisting With Complicated Negotiations
Dealing with insurance companies and other drivers is difficult after any road accident, but it’s especially complicated when semi-trucks and commercial vehicles are involved. Truck accidents often cause extensive damage to multiple vehicles, potentially injuring drivers and passengers seriously. This means that several insurance companies are often involved in negotiations.
That’s why getting the assistance of a truck accident lawyer in Richmond, VA, is so important. Your lawyer can represent you in negotiations, helping you get a settlement that covers your medical needs, physical recovery, lost income and other damages.
Proving Fault and Gathering Evidence
Whether you want to settle with the insurance company or fight your case in court, you need to have ample evidence to back up your claims. Insurers often try to shift some of the blame to other drivers so they can get out of paying.
At Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law, we’re experienced with defending our clients against these unfounded accusations and helping prove the truck driver’s fault. Our team can gather evidence to bolster your case, including medical records, police reports, eyewitness accounts, testimony from doctors, video footage or surveillance videos, and other available footage.
Making Sure Your Lawsuit Includes All Responsible Parties
Another reason it’s smart to have a truck accident lawyer in Richmond, VA for your case is to know who to take to court. You don’t have to accept the first settlement offer from the insurance company.
Depending on the accident, other parties may be responsible as well, such as other drivers, the owner of the trucking business, highway maintenance officials, construction companies and city governments. We can help you navigate this complex web successfully.
Protecting Your Legal Needs
What if someone traveling with you in the vehicle was injured and decides to sue you? What if the insurance company is blaming you for the accident? Our legal team can help defend your interests. We have extensive litigation experience.
4 Things To Do to Avoid a Truck Accident
According to the Census Bureau, there are more than 3.5 million truck drivers on the road today — a number that’s at its all-time high. With that in mind, your truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA, would want you to know what to do to try to avoid getting into an accident with a truck.
Avoid Driving in the Truck’s Blind Spots
Every vehicle on the road today has blind spots — places around their car where they can’t see what’s going on. Semi-trucks, being much larger than the average passenger vehicle, have larger blind spots. Do your best to get out of the truck’s blind spots as soon as possible.
Watch Brake Lights and Turn Signals
If you’re behind a truck, keep an eye out for its brake lights and turn signals. These critical indicators will tell you what the driver is doing, so you can adjust your driving accordingly. If the driver doesn’t use turn signals, and their turning causes an accident, you may have a personal injury claim against the driver. Talk to a truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA, from Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law to see if you have a case.
Use Extra Caution When Passing a Large Truck
Any time you’re passing a large truck, you’re in its blind spots for several seconds or minutes. A good rule of thumb to follow is that if you can’t see the driver’s face in his side mirror, he can’t see your car. Pay close attention to the truck’s turn signal — if the driver indicates that he’s going to change lanes when you’re next to him, you need to either speed up or drop back to get out of his way. Once you’re past the truck, don’t move back into its lane until you can see its headlights in your rear view mirror.
Report Dangerous Truck Driver Behavior
If you see a truck driver driving erratically, speeding, weaving on the road or otherwise driving badly, and it’s safe to do so, make note of any contact information and ID number on the trailer. Ideally, have a passenger in the car take down the info or call the number immediately. Should you be in a hit and run accident with that truck, your Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA, could use it to identify the driver who caused your accident.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents occur every day in the U.S. and can result in traumatic brain injuries and other life-threatening injuries. The causes of a truck accident vary widely. While some of these accidents are caused by extreme weather conditions and poor road conditions, many others are the result of driver error or negligence. Sometimes truck drivers are so fatigued or sleepy due to their long hours that it impairs their judgment and ability to drive. Let’s take a look at some of the common causes of truck accidents a truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA from our firm sees:
- Poor Truck Maintenance: Trucking companies are responsible for maintaining all of their vehicles. If a truck isn’t maintained properly, it is more likely to break down on the road and cause an accident. Drivers and truck companies are responsible for doing regular, thorough maintenance inspections so that the trucks are always in top condition. They must be in good shape before they ever hit the road. Even a small crack or loose part is enough to cause a major accident that can threaten the lives of many people. If a truck accident lawyer that Richmond VA residents count on finds out during the discovery process that a trucking company failed to properly maintain a vehicle, the company could be held liable.
- Distracted Driving: Truck drivers often have busy schedules, so some of them may try to multitask while on the road. All of their attention might be on getting to the next city or making enough progress on their journey. However, sending a text message or even eating something can cause a truck driver to lose focus and increase the risk of an accident. If a truck driver must complete a certain task, it may be best for him or her to pull over to a safe spot to do it.
- Speeding: Truck drivers are expected to deliver their goods on time. To ensure the goods get delivered to their destinations on deadline, some truck drivers may drive above the speed limit. Some drivers even occupy the fast lane and drive faster than they are supposed to. This is a bad habit among many truck drivers. Unfortunately, this puts everyone else on the road at risk. They can cause an accident by pushing their vehicle too far. They risk barreling down the road at an uncontrollable speed or cause their truck to swerve, resulting in spilled products. It’s important for truck drivers to obey the speed limit, even if they are on strict timelines.
- Driver Fatigue: A truck accident lawyer Richmond VA respects has also dealt with truck accidents caused by driver fatigue. They are pressured to reach their destination quickly so they can deliver products on time. Because of this and other reasons, truck drivers are sometimes reluctant to take frequent stops so that they can rest. Truck drivers may drive thousands of miles every month, which can take its toll eventually. Lack of sleep can slow reaction time and skew one’s sense of judgment. That’s why federal regulations limit the amount of hours a truck driver can log every week. Unfortunately, not all truck drivers follow these regulations and drive more hours than permitted. However, this only puts them and other people at even greater risk. Research has shown that sleepiness can be just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Exhausted drivers are more likely to lose focus on the road and cause accidents.
Results of a Trucking Accident
If you are the victim of a trucking accident, you may have sustained various kinds of damages. They may include damage to your car or damages to yourself and others in the car with you. You may have multiple serious injuries. Recovery after a truck accident is not easy, and it can force you to miss work and put your financial security in jeopardy. A Richmond truck accident lawyer may be able to help you assess the cost of the damages and recover the costs from those responsible. Damages from an accident may include:
- Loss of job
- Loss of vehicle
- Enormous medical bills
- Short or long term care
- Loss of life
Richmond VA Truck Accident Infographic
If you have experienced any of these, you may benefit from the help of a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA trusts to fight your case and help you earn the compensation you deserve. If you are struggling financially, a lawyer will fight for you and pursue the liable party. Getting help after an accident is critical. You should explore your available legal options to see how much compensation you may be entitled to. You may be able to receive more than you think. The compensation you receive may be able to provide relief for your medical bills and other accident related costs. As an accident victim, you have access to resources that can improve your situation. You should not have to bear the cost of an accident that you did not cause. Hire a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA victims recommend from MartinWren, P.C. so you and your loved ones can get the justice you deserve.
Negligence contains four elements: duty of care, a breach of duty, causation, and damages sustained. Trucking companies are used to accidents occurring, so they know how to work the system and cut corners to make it seem like the driver was not negligent, and that they are not at fault. You need to be ready for this to happen and have solid evidence that proves the trucker was at fault. You will also want the right truck accident lawyer Richmond VA trusts on your side. Proof that may indicate the driver was at fault include:
- The driver was under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol.
- The driver fell asleep at the wheel.
- The driver failed to signal before switching lanes.
- The driver failed to inspect the vehicle before starting the drive for that day.
Why Do Truck Accidents Happen?
Every car accident is serious; however, if an auto accident involves a truck, all consequences are magnified. Because tractor-trailers are so large, they have the potential to cause serious damage even if the accident takes place at low speed. What are some of the most common reasons why a truck accident takes place? If you have been involved in a truck accident, rely on a truck accident lawyer in Richmond, VA to help you, such as an attorney from Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law.
The Driver Is Too Tired
One of the most common reasons why truck accidents take place is that the driver is too tired to drive. A lot of truck drivers are paid by the mile. Therefore, there is an incentive for them to drive as far as possible. Unfortunately, this might mean they are driving while tired. If a truck driver falls asleep at the wheel, a catastrophic accident could take place. Truck drivers need to pull over and go to sleep if they are too tired to focus.
Important Maintenance Tasks Have Been Overlooked
Another possible reason why a truck accident might take place is that important maintenance tasks have been overlooked. Like all other vehicles, trucks need to receive tire rotations, oil changes, and other important services from time to time. If these maintenance tasks have been skipped, a truck accident could take place. A truck accident lawyer in Richmond, VA can take a look at the maintenance log and make sure the vehicle has been receiving its regular checks.
The Driver Is Distracted
Finally, some truck accidents take place because the driver is distracted. Truck drivers have a lot to think about when they are behind the wheel. Sometimes, they may send a text message, talk on the phone, or get caught changing the radio station. If a truck driver was distracted, he or she may take his or her eyes off the road. This could lead to a serious truck accident, with some people suffering serious injuries.
Reach Out to a Truck Accident Lawyer for Help
In the end, there are numerous reasons why a truck accident might take place. If you have suffered injuries in a truck accident, you should rely on a truck accident lawyer in Richmond, VA to help you. An attorney from Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law can make sure your rights are bigger asleep offended.
Hiring Legal Representation for a Truck Accident Lawsuit
Truck accident lawsuits tend to be quite complex and can be stressful to deal with on your own. That’s where a Richmond VA truck accident lawyer comes in. If you work with a skilled truck accident lawyer Richmond VA depends on, he or she can help you gather important evidence, negotiate with insurance companies and develop a strong argument against the truck driver who hit you.
Our attorneys have years of experience working with negligent drivers in trucking accidents. We know how truck companies and insurance companies work, and we can do our best to help you under the circumstances. Accidents of this nature can result in serious injuries that are not to be taken lightly or forgotten about. If you have been the victim of a truck accident due to the negligence of the driver, call MartinWren, P.C. today. We can offer a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA trusts to be on their side.
If you are looking for a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA offers, contact MartinWren, P.C. today.
Truck Accidents Caused by Falling Debris
Tractor-trailers, semis, flatbeds, and other types of commercial trucks haul all kinds of cargo, from construction materials, vehicles, furniture, food, and even hazardous materials. Unfortunately, one type of truck accident that is becoming more and more common are accidents that are caused by debris or cargo falling off the truck. A Richmond VA truck accident lawyer has handled many cases where cargo has become loose and fallen off the truck transporting it. Even when other vehicles keep safe distance from trucks, there are still many victims who are injured because the falling cargo has landed on their vehicle or they have crashed trying to avoid cargo that has fallen on the road.
Both federal and state laws require truck drivers that are transporting cargo to make sure that cargo is safely secured with the proper equipment to prevent that cargo from falling off the truck and onto the road. Laws are also in place that actually prohibit trucks from driving on roads if the cargo they are carrying is not secured in order to ensure there it doesn’t fall or spill.
Any truck driver who is transporting hazardous materials is required to make sure those materials are secure and will not spill or get released. While any type of truck spill can be dangerous, those spills involving hazardous materials can result in severe injuries and death to not only victims, but also to emergency workers who respond to the accident.
Duty of Trucking Companies and Their Drivers
Truck companies and truck drivers have a duty – under federal and state laws – to make sure that the containers that carry the cargo the trucks are transporting are free from defects. They also have a duty to make sure that any devices used to secure these containers are also free from defects. Failure to adhere to this duty can result in cargo falling off the vehicle and landing on another vehicle behind the truck or causing an accident as other vehicles try to avoid crashing into the fallen cargo.
If cargo falls as a result of negligence on the part of the trucking company or truck driver, they can be held liable for any accidents, injuries, deaths, and losses that are a result of the fallen cargo. Victims can file truck accident lawsuits against any liable parties to pursue damages for their medical expenses, loss of income if they are unable to work while they recover, pain and suffering, emotional anguish, permanent disability, scarring, disfigurement, and more. If the victim does not survive their injuries, their survivors may be able to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against those liable parties.
Call Our Office for Help
If you have been injured in a truck accident caused by falling cargo, contact MartinWren, P.C. to find out what legal recourse you may have against those responsible for your injuries. Contact our office today to schedule a free and confidential consultation with a truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA.
What are the common causes of trucking accidents?
A truck accident lawyer Richmond VA trusts from MartinWren, P.C. has represented clients who suffered traumatic brain injuries, paralysis and other serious injuries from truck accidents. Trucking accidents occur every day and are more likely to cause severe injuries and fatalities than accidents involving typical cars. Commercial trucks weigh a lot more than regular vehicles, so the impact is much greater.
While some truck accidents are caused by extreme weather and poor road conditions, other accidents result from driver error. Driving a commercial truck is more difficult than driving a regular vehicle. Drivers must complete specialized training before getting certified. Even after they complete training, truck drivers must still take extra safety precautions. The most experienced drivers may get into accidents if they aren’t careful.
If you’re considering contacting a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA relies on from our law firm, your accident might have been caused by one of the following:
- Distracted Driving: Operating a commercial truck requires a driver’s full attention. If a truck driver shifts their focus for a minute, it may increase the risk of an accident. Because truck drivers are on the road for long periods of time, they might try to multitask. They might make a phone call or eat food while they are behind the wheel. To keep everyone on the road safe, truck drivers should pull over to a safe spot if they have to do another task.
- Poor Truck Maintenance: Just like all other vehicles, commercial trucks must be properly maintained. If these trucks aren’t maintained, an equipment malfunction, such as a tire blowout, can occur on the road. If faulty equipment causes an accident that injures others, the injured victims might file a lawsuit against the trucking company with the help of a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA counts on.
- Driver Fatigue: Driving a commercial truck for hours at a time can get very tiring. That’s why federal regulations set a limit on how many hours truck drivers can drive every week. Unfortunately, not all truck drivers follow this rule and log in more hours than they are supposed to. A truck accident lawyer Richmond VA respects may have represented clients who were in truck accidents caused by driver fatigue.
- Speeding: Some individuals who request to speak to a Richmond truck accident lawyer from our firm may have been involved in truck accidents related to speeding. Commercial truck drivers are often under strict timelines and may be tempted to drive above the speed limit to deliver their goods on time.
- Inadequate Training: A truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA may have represented clients whose injuries resulted from inexperienced truck drivers. If a truck driver hasn’t receive adequate training, he or she might not know how to handle a commercial truck and put everyone on the road in danger.
What are common reasons truck accidents happen?
Most people sharing the road with a large truck are very aware of the damage they can cause should a collision occur. Unfortunately, sometimes there may be no way of keeping a safe distance from them. Like car accidents, there are a variety of reasons accidents involving large trucks can happen, including:
- Fatigued Drivers
- Driving Under the Influence
- Distracted Driving
- Poorly Maintained Trucks
- Brake Failure
- Improperly Loaded Trucks
- Driving Too Fast
What Can Our Firm Do for You?
An experienced truck accident lawyer Richmond VA victims recommend knows that in addition to the truck driver, other parties may be held liable.
The first thing your truck accident lawyer Richmond VA offers will likely do is to collect evidence from the scene of the accident. It is crucial for victims or their families to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Some trucking companies (or their representatives) have made it a habit to visit the scene of an accident in order to get rid of any evidence that could be used against them, such as truck skid marks that indicate the truck driver was traveling too fast.
In addition to any evidence from the scene (including police report information and witness depositions), your truck accident lawyer may also examine the driving record and travel logs of the truck driver in the accident, as well as all vehicle maintenance records of the truck involved in the crash.
Once it has been established who the responsible party or parties are, your lawyer would then attempt to negotiate a fair and just settlement amount for the pain and losses you have suffered. If it has been determined that there are multiple parties at fault, your lawyer may deal directly with each insurance carrier, allowing you to focus on rehabilitation and recovery from your injuries.
If the insurance companies are unwilling to negotiate a fair settlement amount, then your lawyer may proceed with litigation and let a judge or jury determine the amount of damages you are entitled to.
Why are truck accidents so severe?
Our Richmond, Virginia truck accident lawyer will share that, unfortunately, most accidents involving trucking accidents are severe. This is because of the sheer size and force of large trucks. When a large truck collides with another vehicle, the force can cause severe damage, much more powerful than if the accident involved a standard-sized vehicle.
What is the process for investigating the accident?
There are several steps to the investigation process for a trucking accident. The first is initiated at the accident scene when law enforcement arrives. They will secure the scene, contact emergency services and investigate the details of the accident, which will result in a police report which can act as a critical piece of evidence for the case. Once the dust has settled and the victim decides to take legal action, their lawyer will launch their investigation, which may involve the services of a professional investigator. In addition, the trucking company may also investigate the accident with their team.
What evidence will be key to proving the case?
When a plaintiff pursues damages, they will have the burden of proof, meaning they will need to prove that their losses and injuries were because of the truck drivers and/or trucking companies’ negligence and failure to uphold the duty of care.
Who can be held responsible for the damages?
Trucking accident cases can be complicated for many reasons, but also because, at times, there may be multiple parties responsible. This may include:
- The Truck Driver
- The Trucking Company
- Truck Manufacturer
- Contracted Vendors
Most people experience some kind of car accident at least once in their lives, whether they’re minor fender-benders or serious collisions. They can be major headaches, and serious catastrophes. No two car accidents are alike, but the aftermath always has a few similarities: It takes a long time to get the money you need, and dealing with insurance is never fun.
Car accidents are common, but what if you were involved in something a little bigger? Truck accidents are car accidents taken to a huge extreme, and they can be even more dangerous than a serious car accident. Fortunately, you can rely on a truck accident lawyer in Richmond VA to help you get the compensation you need for your injuries – just reach out to MartinWren, P.C.
But how can a truck accident lawyer help, and when should you get in touch with the right legal team? And importantly, what can you expect from the aftermath of a truck accident? How are these accidents different than “ordinary” car accidents? Read on to learn a little more about how truck accidents can affect you.
What Makes a Truck Accident Different?
A truck accident is different than regular car accidents for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the insurance company you have to deal with may be tied to the truck operator (in the case of a private contractor) or the company that owns the fleet (in the case of a fleet of trucks owned and operated by one company). Secondly, you’re dealing with a truck. A giant machine that can (and will!) cause serious damage and injury.
What Does the Aftermath of a Truck Accident Look Like?
Like most car accidents, a truck accident can turn your life completely upside down. Immediately after a truck accident, you’ll probably be dealing with a lot of shock. Hopefully you still remembered to take photos and get witness testimony of the accident! If you experienced a truck accident and reported it to the police, even better. You may need those police records to help your case afterwards.
After the accident, you can expect a whole other headache on top of what you’ve already experienced. Some insurance companies are slow to release those much-needed funds (they actually generate more money through interest if they hold onto your cash as long as possible) and you could also be dealing with a growing pile of medical bills. It’s important to get the money you need to keep that mounting debt in check – especially if you aren’t able to clock in for work while you recover.
DETERMINING FAULT AFTER TRUCK ACCIDENT
Assessing who is at-fault in a truck accident can be a difficult thing to uncover, especially if you don’t have assistance from a personal injury lawyer. When it comes to truck accidents specifically, there may be several parties who hold some degree of liability. Figuring out who to hold responsible for your injuries and losses can be challenging, but having a lawyer with investigative tactics can make it all that much easier. If the truck accident also entails a criminal offense, then proving fault in your case will be more simple. You will want a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA community members depend on to use their connections and presence to get the details they need to find out what happened.
The potential liable parties in your case can include one or more of the following:
- The driver of the truck
- The trucking company
- The truck manufacturer
- The crew that loaded the truck
- A third party driver
- Those responsible for truck maintenance
Initially, you may suspect that the truck driver is responsible for the crash. There is a possibility that while the trucker was speeding or otherwise driving erratically, they may have also been pressured by the trucking company to meet an unrealistic deadline. The trucker is the one who chose to speed, however, if they were influenced by pressures of the job and were forced to violate state and federal safety regulations, then the trucking company may be listed in your lawsuit as well.
The trucking company may have failed to train their drivers, failed to keep a truck in proper working condition, pressured drivers to go against safety regulations, or some other way increased the chances of an accident happening. If there is a flaw in the manufacturing of a truck part or design, the company which created and sold it may be partially liable. Every trucking company must inspect the truck on a routine basis, to keep it running smoothly, or they could be liable for a system breakdown that occurred moments before a disastrous wreck. Your Richmond truck accident lawyer may find evidence that suggests the loading company or crew had failed to secure and balance the load, which caused it to tip over or release debris onto the road.
Victims of truck accidents may have to deal with various types of damages in the aftermath of a serious wreck. By having a dedicated Richmond lawyer truck accident team by your side, the compensation you receive can include your current losses and potential impacts for the future. After your lawyer has determined who is liable for the truck accident, you can initiate the process of filing a lawsuit directly against them or with their insurance company. The level of personal injury and property damage tends to be substantial, and victims shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for costs that were the cause of another’s negligence.
Common Injuries in a Truck Accident
If you were hurt in a truck accident, it’s important to have a truck accident lawyer Richmond, VA residents trust on your side. You may be entitled to compensation. Here are the most common truck accident injuries.
- Head injuries. Head injuries are one of the most severe and life-threatening injuries one can endure in a truck accident. They can occur from blows to the head and violent shaking of the head. Common symptoms of head injuries include dizziness, confusion, headaches, nausea and loss of consciousness. While mild head injuries may improve over time, severe head injuries can lead to permanent cognitive and emotional changes. Some people who sustain head injuries may require long-term rehabilitation and assistance.
- Burns. Commercial trucks carry fuel and other hazardous chemicals. If a truck gets into a crash, these chemicals can leak out and become flammable. People involved in the accident may suffer severe burns as a result. Burn injuries are very painful and can be life-threatening due to infection and fluid loss. They can also be disfiguring and require surgery.
- Broken bones. In a truck accident, victims are also likely to suffer broken bones in various parts of their body, including the arms, legs, hips and ribs. They are extremely painful and can take a long time to recover from. If a bone is broken in more than one place, surgery may be necessary. If you broke a bone in a truck accident, contact a Richmond truck accident lawyer.
- Amputation. Amputations can also occur in a truck accident and involve the removal of any extremity, like an arm or leg. Sometimes an amputation can result directly from a truck accident. Other times, however, a limb can sustain such damage in the accident that it must be surgically removed. Losing a limb can dramatically change your life. You will have to relearn how to perform daily tasks.
- Spinal cord injuries. Truck accident victims can also suffer spinal cord injuries, which can cause loss of muscle function, incontinence and even paralysis. If you suffer permanent paralysis from this injury, you may require assistance for the rest of your life.
- Whiplash. People can also sustain this neck injury in truck accidents. Common symptoms include neck pain, neck stiffness, dizziness, headaches and shoulder pain. While whiplash might not seem as severe as other truck accident injuries, it’s nothing to make light of. Without prompt treatment, whiplash can lead to chronic neck pain that’s debilitating.
- Internal damage. The impact of a truck accident can also cause severe damage to your internal organs, like the liver, lungs, kidneys and spleen. Symptoms of internal injuries aren’t always immediately apparent, so it is crucial to get prompt medical care.
Richmond Truck Accident Lawyer Statistics
According to the Virginia DMV, in 2021 there were a total of 2,645 crashes involving large trucks, which means that 2.2% of all traffic accidents were truck accidents. With those statistics, there is a good chance that you or someone you love may be involved in a truck accident. Passenger vehicle accident claims can be complicated, but commercial truck accidents can present even more complex issues. One of those issues is determining all the parties who may be at fault for the accident. These could include the trucking company the driver works for, or the freight company that loaded the truck. If it is determined that a defective part may have caused the accident, a claim for damages might be filed against the company that manufactured the part. A lawyer will be able to help you determine who was at fault to get you the compensation you deserve.
Don’t Hesitate. Get in Touch with a Truck Accident Lawyer Today
A truck accident can throw your life into disarray. And the financial cost of recovery can keep you stuck in a never-ending debt cycle. Fortunately, the right lawyer can help you get some much-needed compensation, and they can fight that stingy insurance company on your behalf as well.
When you get in touch with a truck accident lawyer, you’re getting a personal advocate who can investigate your accident and determine who else could (and should) be held responsible. You’re also getting a valuable ally in your corner who is committed to getting you the compensation you need so you can finally move on with your life.
Don’t hesitate, and don’t wait another second: Reach out to MartinWren, P.C. and see how a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA can help.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to our firm if you have more questions about trucking accidents. To schedule a consultation with a truck accident lawyer Richmond VA has to offer, contact MartinWren, P.C. at (434) 817-3100.