Truck Accident Lawyer Harrisonburg, VA
If you recently got into a truck accident, the next steps you take are crucial. Getting into an accident with a truck driver is a unique circumstances and different than getting into an accident with other drivers on the road. Truck accidents can cause the injured party to sustain much more serious damage than they might from a regular car accident. While getting into a car accident can be stressful and scary, getting into an accident with a truck can increase these worries tenfold. For more information on what to do after you were involved in an accident with a truck, read on!
What Critical Steps Should I Take After the Accident?
There are a few critical steps you should take after you were involved in a truck accident. These steps are:
- Asses Yourself For Injuries. The most important thing you can do after being involved in an accident is to determine any injuries you might have sustained. Are you bleeding? Do you have any broken bones? If your injuries are serious enough, call 9-1-1 as soon as you can to receive medical treatment. Even if you are unsure of the injuries you sustained immediately, many types of brain trauma or bruising do not present immediately. You should seek medical treatment when you are finished at the scene.
- Get To Safety. It is imperative that you get yourself out of harm’s way as soon as possible. If your vehicle is drivable, many states even require that you move it out of traffic. Only move passengers who are un-injured unless you are medically trained to do so.
- Contact the Proper Authority. When you have looked at your injuries and moved your vehicle into a safe area, call the police and emergency vehicles if needed. Be prepared to give them a statement of the moments leading up to the accident, and provide them with the facts. This is not the time to hypothesize about what the other driver was doing.
- Exchange Information With Others Involved In the Accident. It is important to get the names, numbers, and insurance information of any other driver who was involved in the truck accident. Because trucks require different insurance information, the cargo, the tractor, and the trailer might all have separate insurance information.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
There are many causes of truck accidents, and in many cases, it is due to driver error. Some of these are:
- Driving recklessly
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving distracted
- Driving while fatigued
What Kind of Compensation Is There With Truck Accident Claims?
Although it depends on the injuries you sustained after the accident, it is possible to receive compensation for things like pain and suffering, medical expenses from hospitals or from therapy, lost wages, and even a diminished quality of life.
Can a Lawyer Help Me File a Claim?
When seeking compensation for a personal injury after a truck accident, a truck accident lawyer Harrisonburg, VA trusts at MartinWren, PC will be incredibly valuable to your case. If you have any further questions regarding personal injuries from truck accidents, speak with an attorney today.