Can I Sue if I Fall on Broken or Uneven Sidewalk?

December 15, 2020 in Uncategorized | MARTIN WREN, P.C. | LEAVE A COMMENT

Yes, you can! But it is not exactly that simple. If you’ve been injured because you fell on a broken or uneven sidewalk, read on to learn who and how you can sue and recover for your injuries.

Document the Incident

First, follow the proper procedure to support any personal injury claim you might make:

  1. Take photos of the hazardous condition, any warning signs, injuries, clothing, etc.
  2. Report the incident to the property authority
  3. Take a note of any witnesses
  4. Seek medical attention for your injuries
  5. Hire an attorney 

Who Owns the Sidewalk?

Next, you will need to determine who owns the sidewalk (if you’ve hired a lawyer, they can help you do this). The owner might be a resident, a business, or even a governmental entity. This is important because you will need to know who to file a claim against. 

  • Residential Property Owner. All home insurance policies have a section that describes the coverage of liability. If you were injured on the home’s sidewalk, you would file a claim against the homeowner’s insurance company. 
  • Business Owner. If the sidewalk you were injured is located in front of a business, you might need to do even further investigation into who owns it. Is it the business owner? Or the owner property owner? A search of property records can help you determine who is liable. Again, most businesses will have insurance that covers their liability, and you would file a claim against that insurance company.
  • Government Entity. There is always a chance that the sidewalk is owned by the city or some other type of government entity. If that is the case, make sure to do your research. Bringing a claim against a government entity usually involves more steps and stricter guidelines, your best bet is to hire a lawyer.

Was it the Owner’s Fault?

Then, you and your lawyer will need to determine if the sidewalk was broken or uneven due to the owner’s negligence. Negligence is the failure to behave with the level of care that someone of ordinary prudence would have exercised under the same circumstances. For example, in a personal injury case arising from a fall on a broken or uneven sidewalk, you would need to prove the following:

  1. Duty: The owner owed you a duty to maintain the sidewalk.
  2. Breach of Duty: The owner breached that duty when they failed to maintain the sidewalk and it became broken or uneven.
  3. Causation: The owner’s breach of duty caused the fall.
  4. Damages: You suffered a personal injury as a result.

If you can prove the owner was negligent, you may be entitled to compensation.


Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    *By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Martin Wren, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news