No Specified Bike Lanes on Roads — What to Do If You Get Hit

May 10, 2020 in Uncategorized | MARTIN WREN, P.C. | LEAVE A COMMENT

Bike paths are a safe way for bicyclists to travel. However, they can’t be installed on every roadway. As a result, bicyclists find themselves sharing the road with cars. So, what happens if there are no specified bike lanes on the road, and you were hit by a car while riding your bike?

No Bike Lanes – General Rules
On a road without bike lanes, the general rule is that bikes stay as far to the right as is safe. Notice that the general rule is not as far to the right as possible. This is because all the way to the right might not be the safest place for cyclists, especially when there is street parking. Riding a bike as close to the parked cars as possible is incredibly dangerous. A car door might open at any moment and cause a collision. Sometimes, the safest place for the bike is toward the center of the car lane.  

What to Do if You’re Hit By a Car
Just like with any auto accident, make sure you contact the police. Doing so will create an accident report, which can be useful if you decide to make a claim. Then, get examined by a medical professional right away. The most important thing is your health and well-being, and you’ll want a medical record indicating your injuries for the claim.

If you decide to pursue a claim, you will most likely sue the car’s driver for negligence. Negligence is the failure to behave with the level of care that someone of ordinary prudence would have exercised under the same circumstances. Under this sort of claim, you would need to prove the following:

  • Duty: The driver owed you a duty to drive responsibly and safely on the road.
  • Breach of duty: The driver breached their duty to drive in a reasonable manner and hit you.
  • Causation: The driver’s breach of duty caused the collision.
  • Damages: You suffered a personal injury as a result.

If you were injured in the collision and decide to pursue a personal injury claim, what you are really seeking are “damages”. Damages is a legal term for money awarded to a party in a lawsuit. In the case of a personal injury, a party usually seeks compensatory damages. As you might infer from the name, compensatory damages are intended to compensate for a loss or injury.  You might be able to collect damages for:

  • Medical bills
  • Therapy bills
  • Lost wages (calculated from your salary)
  • Physical and mental pain and suffering
  • Property damage

How much and what type of damages a party is awarded depends on the specific facts of each case. 

Contact an Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand what sort of damages you may be entitled to and will fight to make sure you receive fair compensation for your injuries.

Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    *By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Martin Wren, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news