I Don’t Have Medical Insurance But I Was Injured in a Car Accident

November 7, 2021 in Uncategorized | MARTIN WREN, P.C. | LEAVE A COMMENT

Medical bills for those injured in a car accident can cost up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. While a stressful and often scary situation for most, someone injured in a motor vehicle accident who does not have medical insurance may find themselves particularly confused on how to proceed, especially if they are not at fault for the accident. 

If you are experiencing mild to severe injuries, it is highly recommended that you seek medical care despite being uninsured, however you will be expected to come up with payment at the time of billing. Funds from the driver at fault or their insurance company will most likely not be available for months, or even up to a year, which is longer than medical providers are willing to wait. Here are a few of your options. 

Payment Plans

Partial payments on medical bills is not out of the question for most medical providers. The billing department of the facility where you sought treatment can set up a plan for you. Be aware, though, that failure to make any payments will result in your bill being sent to collections, even if the accident is not your fault. This can significantly hurt your credit score. 

To avoid being overcharged, something that commonly happens to those without health insurance, ask for the “cash price” for the treatment that was provided to you. This often decreases the total cost of your treatment.

Bodily Injury Coverage

If you do not have medical insurance but are injured in a car accident that is not your fault, you may be able to acquire coverage through the auto insurance of the other driver. In particular, bodily injury coverage is designed to pay for expenses related to injuries of another driver sustained in a crash that you caused. A minimum requirement for bodily injury coverage exists in almost every state, but drivers can buy additional coverage. In addition to medical bills, bodily injury coverage includes funeral costs, lost wages and legal fees. 

Talk to an Attorney

Car accident attorneys work to protect victims of motor vehicle accidents while seeking maximum compensation for any damages incurred. This includes, but is not limited to, lost wages, property damages and of course, medical bills. If you are the victim of a car accident and do not have medical insurance, be sure to maintain a record of all of your treatments, accident reports and bills. These are components of a claim that an attorney can file to recover the damages to pay your medical bills. 

Contact a car accident lawyer, like one from Therman Law Offices, LTD, today if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident. 

Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news