Who Pays for Workers’ Compensation?

January 24, 2022 in Uncategorized | MARTIN WREN, P.C. | LEAVE A COMMENT

Who Pays for Workers’ Compensation?

If you’ve ever been injured on the job, the phrase “workers’ compensation” may have come into the conversation. Workers’ compensation serves to reimburse those who have suffered losses due to a work-related injury or illness. 

How Does it Work?

In most states, your employer is required to pay for workers’ compensation insurance. There are a few options for employers to pay workers’ compensation insurance: directly to workers, via a state-run program, or to an insurance company.

Companies that can pay their employees directly, or “self-insure,” must have considerable assets in order to protect themselves from liability and ensure that their workers are being paid sufficient benefits. Often, this means increased regulation by the state. Dispersal of workers’ compensation is typically conducted through what is known as a “third-party administrator,” or a company that your employer hires to process claims. If you were injured while working for an employer that is self-insured, you’ll receive benefits from this third-party administrator.


Most states provide the option for employers to purchase workers’ comp insurance through government programs. Typically, smaller businesses elect to use state programs due to their affordability. Your employer pays a premium, and the state acts similarly to an insurance company.

In some cases, your employer might purchase workers’ comp insurance through a private insurance company. Not all states allow this option, but if your state does, the private insurance company will provide the actual benefits. 

What Does it Cover?

Depending on the nature of your injury, recovery, and time away from work, your benefits package can vary greatly. First and foremost, your injury must be work-related. Additionally, benefits may be declined if you intentionally hurt yourself or were intoxicated during the incident. However, if you do qualify for workers’ comp, the benefits can help you pay for any medical expenses, including hospital visits and ongoing treatment, and missed wages due to being unable to work.

Who Does it Cover?

Depending on your state, some positions are not required to be insured. This includes:

  • Business owners
  • Real estate agents
  • Insurance agents
  • Farmhands

Each state also requires businesses to have a minimum number of employees before they even need workers’ comp insurance. Additionally, federal government employees are covered by federal workers’ compensation rather than state-based.

If you’re unsure about the regulations in your state or are having difficulty receiving benefits that you believe you are owed, don’t hesitate to contact a lawyer. An experienced workers’ compensation lawyer like one from Therman Law Offices will be able to inform you of your options and, if the situation demands it, will help you sue. Schedule a consultation now to receive legal help. 

Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    *By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Martin Wren, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news