Under the law in Virginia, anyone who causes a serious injury or death of an individual can be held legally liable for the consequences. However, it is up to the injured victims or surviving family members to pursue a legal claim and take action. Perhaps the most important step is choosing a personal injury lawyer.
Filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit can be a complicated process. It is helpful to have a lawyer who you can trust to represent you.
How Do I Choose a Personal Injury Law Firm?
When you are choosing a personal injury lawyer to represent you, it is important to find one that encompasses all of the qualities below.
- Experience in your area. Most firms focus on certain specialty areas. You want to make sure your law firm is skilled in the area of practice that you need assistance in, such as personal injury cases.
- Aggressive litigators. The firm should have a team of top-notch litigators who are not afraid to take on catastrophic injury cases and who have a track record of success in court.
- Awards and credentials. The firm should have award-winning attorneys who have been recognized in their field through designations such as Super Lawyers and top AV-ratings from Martindale Hubbell.
When Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
You should consult with one of our injury lawyers if:
- You believe that someone was unreasonably careless in a way that harmed you or a family member. The party that caused harm might be a product manufacturer, the driver of a vehicle, a doctor providing treatment, or a nursing home that provided substandard care.
- You or a loved one suffered injury, or was killed, as a direct result of the carelessness or negligence of another.
- You are involved in settlement negotiations with an insurance company or with someone who caused you harm.
- You want to file a lawsuit to obtain coverage for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, or wrongful death.
As a victim, you have a limited period of time in which to take legal action after an injury. You will also carry the burden of proving your case in order to receive compensation for your losses. Our Virginia lawyers can help you prove your case and obtain compensation.
To ensure you follow all court procedural rules and requirements, you should secure legal representation as soon as possible. A law firm can help with the investigation of your claim by identifying expert witnesses and analyzing evidence. Your attorney can also interact with the insurance company on your behalf, negotiate a fair settlement, and review documents before you sign them to ensure you do not give up any of your legal rights.
What is the Role of a Lawyer?
Personal injury lawyers in Virginia can assist in a variety of ways after you have been injured in an accident. At MartinWren, P.C., our experienced legal team can:
- Help identify all potential defendants you can make a claim against. Sometimes, multiple parties may be responsible for your injuries such as a truck driver and the trucking company that employs him. Claims should be made against all those responsible for your losses so you have the best chance of recovering full compensation.
- Investigate your accident to obtain proof of liability. Obtaining police reports, subpoenaing phone records, securing maintenance records and interviewing witnesses are just some of the many ways that an attorney can assist in investigating and building your case.
- Negotiating a settlement with an insurance company in order to resolve injury claims outside of court.
- Presenting evidence to a jury in a compelling way to persuade the jury to find in your favor.
Navigating the civil justice system to make a personal injury claim is a process that requires legal know-how and experience. After an accident you need to focus on recovering from your injuries or coping with the death of a loved one, not dealing with insurance companies, laws and paperwork.