Slip And Fall Lawyer Richmond, VA
Whenever it comes to the workplace, there are times where there are floors being mopped, due to the fact that they are dirty and need to be cleaned. This happens in many businesses, whether that is a restaurant, a local store, a movie theater, and more. When a floor is being mopped or has been mopped, a caution sign is often put up, which warns people of the danger of slipping and falling, due to the floor just being mopped. However, there are times where this is not the case, and because a sign is not put up, there are instances where an individual slips and falls onto the floor. Now; some of the consequences that can transpire from slipping and falling onto a hard floor, could include a broken back, a spinal injury, or a concussion.
Slip and fall lawyer Richmond, VA
In other words, when a slip and fall happens, due to the fact that the business did not put up a warning sign, the person who was injured has a right to take legal action. One of the strongest ways to do this, would be through contacting a slip and fall lawyer Richmond, VA residents rely on. What such lawyers aid in assisting with, are ensuring that all questions are answered, in relation to how the fall happened, where it happened, what kind of injuries did the person suffer, and more. The reason why such questions are important, is because they aid in breaking down each case, from a multi-faceted approach.
I Slipped and Fell On a Cruise Ship, What Happens Now?
The main thing passengers on board a cruise ship expect to happen is that they will have a great time. Rarely does any passenger actually anticipate getting injured while they are on vacation. Many people choose to book cruise ship tickets because they expect the ship to be safe and enable them to explore far away lands in a unique way. However, every year passengers get injured or even pass away while on cruise ships, due to slip and fall accidents that could have been prevented.
As a slip and fall lawyer Richmond, VA victims trust from MartinWren, P.C. has seen before, some of the most frequent reasons that people on board a cruise ship sustain injury is because of lack of security, failing to maintain the cruise ship to provide a reasonably safe area, or failing to abide by policies and procedures. If you or someone you care about finds themselves injured while on a cruise ship, here are some steps to take next:
- Immediately get yourself medical attention and report the incident to a member of management or supervisory staff
- Take photographs of your visible injuries and the area in which you were hurt, including signs that the ship was poorly maintained (such as broken steps, slippery area, lack of handrails, etc.)
- When completing a report about the injury accident, stick only to facts and be mindful of what you state. The cruise ship likely already has a legal team prepared to handle injury cases when they arise, and may use what you say to minimize your claim and avoid a lawsuit.
- When you get home, follow up with your physician about treatment. Gather copies of all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Consult with a Richmond slip and fall lawyer, as our team has represented injured slip and fall victims in the past. It is important that you find a legal team shortly after returning home, as you may only have a period of time to file a lawsuit.
You may want to have your lawyer review the details of your ticket purchase, as many cruise line companies may attempt to restrict your legal rights when you agree to a ticket contract. While you may not have realized you signed up or agreed to such a contract, the cruise line may argue that your consent was implied by going on board the ship. One of the main ways that a passenger’s rights may be hindered through purchasing a ticket is by changing the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is a set period of time that you have to take legal action for a case.
Any and all evidence will be useful when meeting with a lawyer about your case against the cruise ship line. Specifically, having photographs, video, witness statements, and medical documentation that describes your injuries can be particularly helpful. Your Richmond lawyer slip and fall team may contact witnesses who saw your injury accident happen for an official statement.
Slip and fall lawyer Richmond, VA
Moreover, it is important that a business does not alienate its audience, so that there can be different types of cases handled. An example of this is MartinWren, P.C., which has a strong focus on different types of cases. For example, while slips and fall cases are handled, such as civil litigations, family aspects, business aspects in relation to the greater conduct issues of a company as a whole, that assess whether workplace injuries other than slips and falls have been common and more. This aids in increasing a strong audience, in which the business focuses on a multitude of different types of cases.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe for everyone. If they fail to do that, people are in danger of suffering slip and fall accidents, which can result in serious injuries, like broken bones, head injuries and spinal cord injuries. If you have suffered a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and other losses.
Here are some common causes of slip and fall accidents.
- Wet floors. When many people think about slip and fall accidents, they likely imagine wet floors. The truth is that wet floors are responsible for a large percentage of slip and fall accidents in the U.S. every year. For example, if someone spills juice or milk in a grocery aisle and it does not get cleaned up promptly, a customer could slip on it and fall. Freshly mopped floors can also increase the risk of slip and fall accidents.
- Poor lighting. In order to see where they are going in dim or dark places, people need proper lighting. Without good lighting, they are more likely to fall. Poor lighting is another common cause of slip and fall accidents.
- Weather. Certain weather conditions, like rain and snow, can also result in slip and fall accidents. Although it might not be possible to control the weather, it is possible to shovel sidewalks and pour salt on icy sidewalks. Taking these simple measures can help prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Improper shoes. Wearing the wrong shoes can also contribute to slip and fall accidents. This is especially common around swimming pools because the concrete is very slippery. It is important for everyone to wear non-slip shoes to reduce the risk of slip and fall accidents.
- Clutter. The more clutter there is on the floor, the more likely someone will suffer a slip and fall accident. If there are various items blocking walkways, people can easily trip over them and get hurt. Property owners are responsible for keeping their floors free from clutter so that these accidents do not occur.
- Defective handrails. People depend on handrails when they’re climbing the stairs at malls, apartment complexes and hotels. If the handrails are defective, people are in danger of losing their balance and falling down.
Do You Need a Lawyer For a Slip and Fall Accident?
Many people get into slip and fall accidents and make the mistake of thinking that the accident is not serious enough. Often, slip and fall accidents in public can lead a person to feel embarrassed. When this is the case, the victim may feel more pressure to brush off their injuries and avoid talking to a supervisor or property owner because they do not want to make a big deal out of it. However, this is where a lawyer would tell you to do things differently. Your Richmond slip and fall lawyer would tell you that one of the most important things you can do is to notify the property owner of the accident as quickly as possible.
What Can a Lawyer Do For Me?
So, once you have notified the property owner and are on your way, should you reach out to a lawyer? Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may feel that you have the situation under control. You’ll get a quick medical checkup, then call the property owner’s insurance to let them know what happened, right? This is not the best way to proceed with a slip and fall claim. A lawyer can bring professionalism and years of experience to your claim by helping ensure you have everything squared away, by getting paperwork filed on time, and by making sure that you are protected throughout the process.
Can a Lawyer Help Show Who is At Fault?
Absolutely. Often, property owners will try to push some or all of the blame onto the slip and fall victim. Were you texting? Were you wearing high heels? Were you eating a sandwich? Any of these could contribute to you being partially at fault for the accident and the other party’s insurance will gladly use anything they can against you to lower a settlement claim or try to take the settlement completely off the table.
How can I show the losses I sustained?
A lawyer can help to quantify the losses you sustained as a result of the accident. That means if you are injured so badly you cannot work for 6 months, a lawyer can show how the accident directly impacted your ability to work and provide for your family. They can gather pieces of evidence like paystubs, missed opportunities for a raise or promotion, and your medical bills to establish what you are missing out on financially.
Will a Slip and Fall Lawyer Negotiate For Me?
Working with insurance can be daunting and it can also mean you are saying things directly to the insurance agent that they will use against you during the negotiation process. When this is the case, you want your slip and fall accident lawyer to negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. This can give you the peace of mind you need during the legal proceedings that you have someone by your side who is fighting on your behalf. You should not hesitate to get your lawyer involved in your legal case.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Richmond, VA
Moreover, it is important that a business does not alienate its audience so that there can be different types of cases handled. An example of this is MartinWren, P.C., which has a strong focus on different types of cases. For example, while slips and fall cases are handled, we also handle other cases, such as civil litigations, family aspects, and business aspects in relation to the greater conduct issues of a company as a whole that assess whether workplace injuries other than slips and falls have been common. This aids in increasing a strong audience, in which the business focuses on a multitude of different types of cases. If you are interested in seeing how we can help you with your slip and fall claim, reach out to MartinWren, P.C. to speak with our Richmond slip and fall accident lawyer now.