Will I be required to pay for my medical bills if I lose my personal injury case?

personal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VApersonal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VA 

Anyone who has filed a personal injury claim wants to win their case. A personal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VA relies on can give advice and a legal opinion about what to expect, and they might feel that you will win. However, in a small number of cases, the plaintiff loses their claim. If you are getting ready to file a claim or have recently lost one, you might wonder about what happens after losing a personal injury claim?

The following is a very general overview of how medical debts may be handled after losing a personal injury claim or lawsuit.

Health Care Providers Will Likely Wait for Payment

Following any accident, medical treatment should be sought. In general a doctor or other medical provider will agree to put payment collection on hold until your claim has been settled. If you ask that your payments be delayed, you may be required to sign a legally binding document which states that you acknowledge the debt and that it must be paid, even if you do not win your case.

When a Jury Verdict is Against You

If your personal injury case went to trial, and the verdict was not in your favor, a Harrisonburg, VA personal injury lawyer might ask for a new trial. A lawyer might also ask that some of your financial losses be paid for by the defendant. This is usually not likely, especially if the jury favored the defendant.

If you are granted a new trial, your legal team may be able to point out various errors in the evidence presented against you, or mistakes in the ruling made by the previous judge. If you are not granted a new trial, a personal injury lawyer in Harrisonburg, VA can file an appeal.

Paying Your Medical Bills When You Lost Your Case

If you lost your case, you may have several options to pay off your medical debts.

Your Auto Insurance – If you have auto insurance, you may be able to file a claim with your own policy. This may or may not cover all the costs of your medical treatment.

Your Health Care Provider  – You may be able to file a claim with your own health insurance. This would then cover the cost up to the limits of the policy.

Cash or Credit Card – If you don’t have insurance, you may have to resort to paying your medical bills with cash or a credit card. In this case you might ask the medical provider to arrange a payment plan, especially if you cannot cover the full amount.

Bankruptcy – If you’re absolutely unable to pay for your medical bills, you may want to consider filing for bankruptcy. Chapter 7 would allow you to liquidate your assets to discharge your debt and pay creditors a portion of what you oww. Chapter 13 reorganizes your debt, and you will be required to pay off a certain amount within 3-5 years. After this period is over, the debt might be discharged.

Sadly, even if you did not cause the accident, but lost your personal injury case, you will likely need to cover the costs of your medical bills. On the up side, if you had a personal injury lawyer in Harrisonburg VA and lost, there is a good chance that you won’t have to pay for your legal fees as most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis.

A personal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VA victims turn to at MartinWren, P.C. are experienced and highly qualified to review your case and gauge the possibility of winning. If you would like to learn more, call us today.

Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case. By completing this form you agree that we can follow up with you by phone, email, or by text messaging.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    *By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Martin Wren, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news