When there is a hazard that is not visible to anyone approaching it, they can cause serious accidents that can result in mild to severe injuries. That is often the case with slip and fall incidents. As one of the leading causes of injury in the country, people of all age groups can become a victim of slip and fall incidents. Many victims often require emergency treatment for injuries, such as brain injuries or broken bones. A Harrisonburg slip and fall lawyer like one from MartinWren, P.C. can assist you with your case and provide a variety of legal services if you have been injured during a serious accident that happened because of a party’s inattention or negligence.
Who is Responsible For Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents often happen because of an individual’s negligent acts. Property owners have a duty to remove any hazards on their premises and follow the established safety policies to routinely check that their property is free of any hazards. If a defendant in a slip and fall accident case knew about a hazard but failed to properly dispose of it and install a visible sign warning passersby of the hazard, then a lawyer may be able to prove that they are the liable party.
You can prevent yourself from becoming a victim by becoming aware of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents. Here are some of the most frequent ways that slips, trips and falls occur:
- Broken handrails. A handrail that is not secured to the ground or is faulty because of a lack of maintenance can be dangerous to use.
- Uneven flooring. Cracks can cause paths such as sidewalks to become raised and uneven.
- Spilled food or drinks. One of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents are spilled food or drinks, which often go unnoticed.
- Exposed wiring. Cables that are not secured properly can cause a person to trip over them.
- Weather conditions. Ice can create a slippery surface that can lead to an accident.
Though most mild injuries can take a few days or weeks to heal, recovery from a slip and fall incident can be complicated. In addition to the physical trauma, victims are often piled with medical bills that they may not be able to afford. Contact a trusted slip and fall lawyer who will use their available resources and skill set to protect your legal rights and advocate for you to the fullest.