When you or a loved one has been injured, you might wonder whether or not you should retain Charlottesville VA injury lawyers to maximize your chances at getting fair compensation. A car accident can have devastating consequences on victims physically and emotionally. The aftermath of an accident is difficult to deal with, and the effects may last for weeks or even months. Depending on the injuries sustained, you may rack up medical bills that you are not able to afford. Personal injuries are vast and can stem from a broad range of incidents including medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, slip and falls, car accidents, product defects, and so forth.
MartinWren, P.C. is a law firm of Charlottesville injury lawyers who are well-versed in the encompassing laws, legislation, and procedural rules. They have years of practice experience, specializing in car accidents and many other types of personal injury cases. Guided by a passionate ambition to get justice for each client, we are considered to be a well-respected firm in the community.
Charlottesville VA injury lawyers may suggest that negligence is the absence of using reasonable care, ensuing in damage or injury to another. To have a compelling personal injury claim, the victim must have been injured from the wrongdoing or negligence of another individual.
Unlike many other states, Virginia does not operate on a comparative negligence policy. Insead they have what is known as contributory negligence. Comparative negligence is when parties are assigned fault according to the percentage of blame they have in an accident. If a victim has partial fault, they will still be able to recover a portion of compensation. On the other hand, contributory negligence means that in car accidents with multiple parties, a person is only able to receive compensation if they are completely free of fault. So, this means in cases where a person has minimal fault they may be barred from being eligible to receive compensation.
Because these cases are handled much more differently in Virginia, it is highly recommended to have a specially experienced and skilled lawyer who can advocate on your behalf. They will fight for you and work to see that you have the strongest argument for your case and can recover any and all compensation that you’re entitled to.
Common Personal Injury Cases
Attorneys may explain that people are eligible for fair compensation when someone else’s negligence or intentional act caused them harm. There are several cases of personal injury but the most common types of personal injury cases include:
- Car Accident Cases: No matter how careful you are on the road, there are careless drivers who cause harm to others. If you were in an accident and another driver was not following the rules of the road, was distracted, or was acting in a negligent manner, then they may be held liable for your injuries. Attorneys from MartinWren, P.C. can assist you in navigating the car accident claim process, helping you to focus on getting healthy once again.
- Slip and Fall Cases: It is legally required for property owners to keep their sites reasonably safe and hazardous free. Property liability laws are set in place to prevent people from becoming injured. The responsibilities of a landowner can vary from state to state. Experienced injury lawyers Charlottesville VA residents trust may help you receive compensation with their up-to-date knowledge of the law.
- Medical Malpractice: If a patient is harmed by a doctor or other healthcare professional who failed to perform their medical duties effectively, the patient may be able to file a medical malpractice claim. These cases can be very complex, but the qualified Charlottesville Virginia injury lawyers will work diligently to help you recover proper compensation.
- Dog Bite Cases: Individuals who were bitten by another person’s dog may seek the help of injury lawyers in Charlottesville that can help with a personal injury claim. In many dog bite cases, the dog is not properly fenced in or the dog was not restrained, leading to their dog harming another person or animal. If you were bitten by a dog, the owner is automatically liable and you have the right to seek legal action against them. Dog owners may be financially responsible for bites and other injuries caused by their dog.
- Assault, Battery, and Intentional Torts: These cases are different from others because they involve intentionally causing harm to another, instead of causing harm through negligence or carelessness. However, they still fall under the category of personal injury cases. Typically, these charges apply in criminal cases and the victim may be able to demand compensation for their injuries. If you have been a victim in an assault, battery or intentional tort case, reach out to a top lawyer and they can fight for your rightful and deserved compensation.
- Wrongful Death: A wrongful death is an agonizing experience that is typically financially disastrous for the family of the departed. When an accident that caused the death of a loved one was preventable, it is excruciating for the deceased’s family and loved ones. The family may have considerable medical expenses, final expenses for the deceased, and lose benefits and years of income.
No matter what type of injury you suffered, consulting with lawyers from MartinWren, P.C. may be in your best interest to provide profitable help in your case. We have the necessary experience to prepare a strong case for you. Going through a traumatic and devastating accident can be extremely difficult, and we understand the pain that you are going through. Let us help you by offering our legal assistance so that you can obtain the financial compensation you deserve. As a victim, you should have the guidance and support to go through your recovery period smoothly after experiencing a terrible accident.
4 Things You May Not Know About Personal Injury Law
You’ve been in an accident of some sort, and now you’re hurt. Maybe it was a car accident. It could have been medical malpractice. Perhaps you were a victim of a slip and fall. All these accidents put you in the realm of personal injury law.
You may think you know a lot about personal injury law; after all, you watch an awful lot of legal shows on TV. And you may be right. However, there are things you may not be aware of. Here are just a few.
You Might Not Be Going to Court
It doesn’t matter what injury you sustained or what the circumstances were that led to it. Your Charlottesville VA injury lawyers at Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law may be able to keep you out of a courtroom. That’s because most personal injury cases settle out of court. Your lawyer will fight a pitched battle with the other party’s insurance company’s lawyers to garner a fair settlement for you.
Your Opponent Isn’t the Other Guy
You may think you’re fighting the guy who t-boned your car or the business that let ice build up on their walkway. You’re not. Your true opponent is the other guy’s insurance company. They’re the ones with the deep pockets to pay your claims. Depending on the severity, personal injury claims can get expensive fast. When you add up medical bills, lost wages and lost future wages, damages can run into tens of thousands of dollars, if not more.
You Could Handle Your Entire Case From Home
With ever-improving internet security, you don’t have to leave your house to pursue a personal injury claim. Meetings can be held on the phone or over Zoom. Contracts can be electronically signed. You don’t even need a fax machine, or a laptop for that matter. You could deal with everything on your smartphone. Your Charlottesville VA injury lawyers at Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law want it to be safe and easy for you to proceed with a personal injury case.
Pursuing a Personal Injury Case Shouldn’t Cost You Money Up Front
It’s the industry standard nowadays to offer free consultations for personal injury cases like yours. It’s also industry standard to take on personal injury cases on a contingent basis. That means that your Charlottesville VA injury lawyers don’t get paid unless and until you do. They don’t earn anything unless they win your case for you.
Why Should I Retain a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Technically, you have the right to file a claim on your own without the help of Charlottesville VA injury lawyers; however, this is generally not recommended unless you have legal experience. There are many advantages to having a lawyer to help you navigate your personal injury claim. Whether you have a straightforward case or are dealing with a much more complex one, we can give you personalized support and legal counsel. By retaining a lawyer, you may benefit in many ways, including:
- Injury Lawyers Are Motivated to Help You. In general, a personal injury lawyer works on a contingency fee basis which means they get paid when a settlement is reached. This means not only will a lawyer typically choose cases they are confident in winning, they also understand what it takes to get the highest settlement possible.
- You Can Avoid Dealing with Insurance Companies on Your Own. It is the job of insurance claims adjusters to try to pay out as little as possible, and this means some insurance agents can be ruthless. If you pursue a claim without the assistance of injury lawyers in Charlottesville VA, you risk being confused, taken advantage of, or coerced into settling for less than what you deserve. By having a lawyer on your side, you can feel confident in knowing the right language and legal jargon may be used to protect you and build a strong defense on your behalf.
- Law Firms Work with the Right People. Some claims require the expertise of a witness, medical professional, investigator, or another important party. A good lawyer should have a rolodex of various people they can call upon to assess your injuries, property damage, or available evidence. Using this, the defense’s strong points might be identified and used to build a solid foundation and arguable case.
- A Lawyer is Prepared to go to Trial. Typically, personal injury claims are settled before going to trial. This is because insurance companies could lose their argument when it is presented to a jury — and they know this. However, if your case goes to trial, Injury lawyers may be prepared to fight for your legal rights.
- You Don’t Have to Pay Anything Upfront. Nearly all personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means you are not required to pay anything upfront; rather, you are charged only after you have won your claim. If you don’t win, you don’t pay.
Get the Help You Deserve
Being the victim of another person’s mistakes can lead to personal distress: physically, emotionally, and financially. It is unfair for you to hurt, while the person that caused the damage can get away with it. You have nothing to lose by contacting MartinWren, P.C. for a free consultation We understand that you may have your reasons for being hesitant to reach out to a top lawyer. However, waiting too long to discover your legal options can cause you to miss out on obtaining compensation. Don’t wait another day to seek help. To schedule an appointment with Charlottesville VA injury lawyers who care, please call MartinWren, P.C.
What Damages Are Available in Personal Injury Cases?
If you have suffered injuries because of another person’s negligence, you have the right to sue that person for financial compensation. While the compensation will not make up for the trauma of what you have been for, it may ease some of your burden. The type of damages that are available to you will depend on several factors, such as the type of injuries you sustained and the laws in your state. The following are some of the common damages Charlottesville VA injury lawyers may be able to obtain for you.
A personal injury settlement almost always pays the medical bills you incurred from your injury. This can include the cost of hospital stays, doctor’s visits, surgery, and physical therapy. Medical bills for an injury can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars. If your injury has left you partially or completely disabled, you may require long-term medical care, which will cost even more money. Charlottesville VA injury lawyers are able to determine – with the help of medical experts – how much those future medical costs may be.
An accident doesn’t just cause physical industries. It can also result in emotional scars. For example, if you were injured in a car accident, you might feel anxious and scared about getting into a vehicle again. You might also feel depressed and try to isolate yourself from others. In order to receive compensation for emotional distress, you will need to show proof with your mental health records. One of our Charlottesville VA injury lawyers can help you obtain the evidence you need for this type of damage.
If you suffered an injury, you likely had to take at least some time off work to recover. Lost wages are another common part of a damages award in a personal injury case. If your injury has rendered you permanently disabled and you can no longer work, the wages you would have earned over a lifetime may be required to be paid by the defendant. Our Charlottesville VA injury lawyers have certain formulas, along with the help of forensic experts, to determine how much in future wages a victim loses because of a permanent disability.
Pain and Suffering
It goes without saying that an injury is going to result in pain and discomfort. However, if that pain goes on longer than normal and negatively affects your life, you may be entitled to pain and suffering damages. For instance, if you injured your leg during a car accident and must walk with a limp for the rest of your life, you may be able to sue for these damages.
Wrongful death lawsuits are brought by the family of the individuals who have been killed in an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness. Plaintiffs must prove that the defendant owed the deceased a duty of care, that the defendant breached the duty and that the breach of duty was a direct cause of the death.
What Are Common Slip-and-Fall Accident Injuries?
If you slip and fall while on another’s property, you may suffer a variety of injuries. One reason Charlottesville, VA injury lawyers from Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law recommend letting a doctor see you after an accident is so you know what harm you suffered and what damages to seek from the at-fault party. Here are some of the most common slip-and-fall accident injuries.
Depending on how you fall, you may suffer broken bones. Falls commonly break ankle, wrist and hip bones. The older a person is, the more likely she or he is to suffer a broken bone after slipping and falling.
Twisting during a tumble may damage your knees. It’s vital to have a doctor check you if you experience pain in your knee after falling. If you hurt your ACL or MCL, you could have a long recovery ahead. Specific knee damage includes ligament tears and patella dislocation. If you dislocated your patella, your doctor or Charlottesville, VA injury lawyers may recommend undergoing surgery.
Sprained Wrist or Ankles
If you throw your hands out to cushion your fall, you could suffer sprained wrists. An awkward step during a slip could cause you to sprain your ankle. Sprains happen when ligaments become torn, which may take a while to heal. A sprained wrist or ankle could make it hard for you to walk, dress, type or cook. Even if your sprain seems minor, let a medical professional inspect it, so you do not experience unnecessary complications.
Muscle Strains and Shoulder Dislocation
When you reach out during a fall to brace yourself on something, you could harm your shoulder. The fall alone may also damage your shoulder. Severe shoulder dislocations and muscle strains may require surgery. You may also need to work with your medical team to create a treatment plan to help you recover.
Traumatic Brain Injury
No matter whether your head hits something during a fall, you may suffer a traumatic brain injury. What makes this slip-and-fall injury so dangerous is victims may not notice they suffered a brain injury. Common symptoms include confusion, headache, shifting sleep habits, slurred speech, worsening headache and numbness in the limbs.
Do not take your chances with slip-and-fall injuries. Arm yourself with knowledge of common personal injury harm, and work with Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law to build a solid case and seek fair damages from the negligent party.
FAQs About Personal Injury Cases
Do Most Personal Injury Cases Go to Trial?
Many personal injury cases are resolved without the need to go to trial. Insurance companies and defendants often prefer to settle instead. This requires less time, less expense and, in the case of businesses, prevents negative publicity from a lawsuit.
Ironically, having Charlottesville, VA injury lawyers by your side actually makes it more likely for you to receive a settlement rather than having to go to court. When insurers see that you have experienced legal representation, they know they have to provide a serious offer or risk a court battle, so they generally make a good offer.
Do You Still Have a Case If You’re Partly Responsible for the Accident?
In some situations, insurance doesn’t assign fault to an accident. This can happen with no-fault car insurance. Your own insurance company is responsible in this case for providing compensation regardless of who is at fault. In other situations, establishing fault is similar to a percentage-based range. You can still collect damages from a court case, but the total compensation would be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
This process can be intricate depending on the circumstances of the accident, so it’s good to discuss your case with Charlottesville, VA injury lawyers. At Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law, we let you know from the beginning what you can expect. If you have a strong case, we tell you.
How Long Does It Take To Settle a Personal Injury Case?
There are many circumstances that affect how long it takes for Charlottesville, VA injury lawyers to successfully conclude your personal injury case. If the matter is with an insurance company and the initial settlement offer is appropriate, your case may be resolved in a few weeks.
Other times, the first settlement offer is extremely low, requiring ongoing negotiations. It can be necessary for Charlottesville, VA injury lawyers to gather evidence and medical documents to build a strong case. If litigation in court becomes the only way to obtain the compensation you deserve, the process can take 6–12 months or more to complete.
Our team at Martin Wren, P.C. Attorneys at Law is completely transparent. We let you know about all settlement offers and leave the decision of whether to accept or continue pursuing legal action up to you. With our professional guidance, you can take the right steps to obtain compensation as soon as possible.
Hiring Charlottesville VA Injury Lawyers
If you suffered a personal injury, you should consult with one of the Charlottesville VA injury lawyers from MartinWren, P.C. He or she can review the details of your case and advise you the best way to proceed. A personal injury lawyer will know the true value of your injuries and will not let the insurance company get away with offering you less.
Why Hire Martin Wren, P.C. as Your Injury Lawyer
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about Charlottesville VA injury lawyers until you really need one. And, if you’ve been injured in an accident, you definitely need a lawyer. Personal injury lawyers deal with cases involving injuries that have occurred as the result of someone else’s negligence. If you’ve been injured, it’s important to consult with an attorney who can help you assess your case and determine whether or not you have a claim. Many Charlottesville VA injury lawyers offer free consultations, so there’s no reason to wait to get started.
When it comes to getting compensated for your injuries and damages, there is no room for error or delay. You want a lawyer who will fight aggressively on your behalf while protecting your best interests.
Martin Wren has over 30 years of experience as a personal injury attorney that can help you get the compensation you deserve after suffering from an injury due to someone else’s negligence. He understands how difficult this time can be and wants nothing more than to help his clients through these trying times by providing aggressive representation with compassion during their case proceedings. His goal is always the same; he wants every single one of his clients to receive the maximum amount of financial recovery possible under the law so they can focus on healing instead of worrying about money issues caused by their injuries. He will work tirelessly until he gets results!
You can trust that our team will work tirelessly on your behalf because it is our mission to provide exceptional legal representation at competitive rates while treating all clients with respect and dignity throughout the process. Our goal is always 100% satisfaction guaranteed! That means if we don’t win your case or if you aren’t satisfied with how it was handled, then neither are we! We want nothing more than for you to recommend us to family and friends who need a personal injury lawyer.
Martin Wren, P.C Works for You
Our Charlottesville VA injury lawyers work hard to ensure that our clients’ needs are met while also working towards a fair settlement that takes into account all aspects of their lives, including their health, finances, careers, family life, etc., as well as any other injuries suffered or medical conditions experienced because of an accident caused by another person or company’s negligence.
You never know when you’re going to need an injury lawyer. Maybe you slip and fall on a wet floor in a grocery store. Maybe you’re in a car accident that wasn’t your fault. No matter what the reason, if you’re injured, you need to speak to an injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
If you have been hurt in an accident due to someone else’s fault (or even if it was your own), contact Martin Wren, P.C today.