Personal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VA 

Personal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VA 

Personal injury lawyer Harrisonburg, VA If you are injured due to the negligence of another person, you most likely have questions and you should feel safe enough to ask these questions of the personal injury lawyer in Harrisonburg, VA like the one available at Martin Wren PC. Below are some of the most common questions about personal injury law that we hear from clients.

What if I had a pre-existing condition?

If you are in an accident that aggravated a pre-existing condition, and you were not at fault for the accident, then you can still get damages. Of course these damages might be reduced because they have to take into account the fact that you had a pre-existing condition prior to the case, however it is going to depend heavily on state law and what your lawyer has decided to do in regards to approaching the case. Cases where there is a pre-existing condition involved are typically more complex and will require the help of a personal injury lawyer in Harrisonburg, VA that has a lot of expertise in the type of injury or accident that you went through.

What if I was partly at fault for the accident?

When it comes to being partly at fault for an accident it is going to depend on the state where you live. If you are in Virginia, then the state does follow contributory negligence and most other states follow comparative negligence. Comparative negligence is looking at the damage to two parties because it calculates the percentage that each party was responsible for and then allows the parties involved to recover based on the calculation after their percentages. However contributory negligence states that someone has to be without all in order to make a recovery at all; this means that if you are in any way at fault for the accident, you may not be able to recover anything. However, like always you should consult a personal injury lawyer in Harrison, VA to ensure that you understand the laws of the state and the region that you were injured in.

What is a release and settlement?

A release is the document that you will sign in exchange for receiving your settlement money; this statement more or less says that you release all legal claims against any defendant or their insurance companies based on this particular accident. Oftentimes these releases cover claims against anyone that you sued or received payment from. You should never sign any documents without first talking to your personal injury lawyer in Harrisonburg, VA to ensure that the document is compliant and accepting of your rights.

How do I pay medical bills until I get my settlement?

The insurance company will not pay bills until liability has been established, which means that you have to find other ways to cover these expenses. You may be able to use something like PIP, if you are in a motor vehicle accident. Medical payments coverage or health coverage can apply no matter the type of accident, if you are injured on the job the workers compensation is going to be a possibility. And of course any insurers that help you cover your medical costs will have to be reimbursed upon settlement.

So if you are injured, you should reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Harrisonburg, VA such as the ones available Martin Wren PC for all of your injury claim needs.

Contact Our Virginia Lawyers

We serve clients throughout Virginia — from Charlottesville and Central Virginia to metropolitan Richmond; Harrisonburg and the Shenandoah Valley to Roanoke; and the cities of Hampton Roads to the Northern Virginia cities of  Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington.

To speak with one of our attorneys, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

Our Virginia personal injury lawyers at MartinWren, P.C. also have a statewide practice and offer free consultations at a time and location that is convenient for you.  We will gladly meet with you at your home or at the hospital, even on nights and weekends.


Disclaimer: Using this contact form or any page of MartinWren, P.C.’s website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not submit any confidential, privileged, or other protected information until and unless you have completed a private consultation with a MartinWren, P.C. attorney, the attorney has informed you that no conflict of interest exists, and the attorney notifies you that the firm can take your case.

    *Please enter your initials to acknowledge that you have read and understood the Disclaimer above:

    To schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer, please call us at (434) 817-3100.

    latest firm news